Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1201391.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Nov-2021 at 11:15:40.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Buckinghamshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 69572 34024



SP6934 MARKET HILL 879-1/5/100 (North side) 13/10/52 Old Latin School


Former chantry chapel, later school. Rebuilt 1475 incorporating Norman doorway, re-roofed late C18 and restored by G Gilbert Scott in 1857 and 1875. Uncoursed limestone rubble with limestone dressings and plain-tile roof. Aisleless rectangle. Norman doorway near middle of left side with 1 order of shafts with leaf capitals, imposts with palmette-in-zigzag ornament, inner arch with ornament of shallow pointed-arched arcading, chevron ornament to outer arch and to hoodmould. Circular sexfoiled window above, near eaves. Two 2-light window to left of doorway one above the other with trefoil-headed lights and straight hoods. 2-light Perpendicular window to right with trefoil-headed lights and hoodmould. Right side is concealed by adjacent building and has 2 sexfoiled circular windows at high level. 4-light windows to gable end facing Market Hill divided in 2 by sub-arches separated by small encircled quatrefoil to head and with foiled Y-tracery and trefoils above pointed trefoil-headed lights with pierced spandrels. Hollow-chamfered surround and hoodmould. Stone-coped gable with kneelers and C19 gabled bell-cote to apex. INTERIOR: principal window to gable end has deep splay and hollow-chamfered head dying into wall. End truss of 4-bay roof has many-moulded tie beam with camber to centre to clear head of window and arch-braced collar, otherwise C18 kingpost trusses, except for truss at other end which has queen struts and collar. Piscina with moulded surround and cusped basket-arched head. Panelled dado. Gallery to inner end with serpentine splat balusters to rail, with 6 former pew ends from old parish church either end and at regular intervals. Pew ends have poppy heads. One is inscribed 'THOMAS/ GROVE/ GENT.' Another is dated 1626 and another inscribed 'ANNO/ 1652' with AG in heart to back. Arms to heads. HISTORICAL NOTE: formerly chantry chapel of St John the Baptist. Endowed early C13 as a chantry by Archdeacon Matthew de Stratton. Belonged to the Hospital of St John Acon in London and perhaps served the Hospital of St John the Baptist in Buckingham. Dissolved with other chantries in the reign of Edward VI and known from c1540 as the Royal Latin School. Now owned by the National Trust. (Buckler JC: Endowed Grammar Schools: 1827-: ILL.).

Listing NGR: SP6957234024


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Buckler, J C , Endowed Grammar Schools, (1827)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Feb 2003
Reference: IOE01/08130/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Alistair F Nisbet. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].