Church of St Oswald

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1201549
Date first listed:
29-Jul-1950
Statutory Address:
Church of St Oswald, Bidston Village Road, Bidston

Map

Ordnance survey map of Church of St Oswald
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1201549 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Oct-2019 at 22:40:46.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church of St Oswald, Bidston Village Road, Bidston

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wirral (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 28347 90252

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 17/07/2014

SJ 2890 789-1/6/172

BIRKENHEAD Bidston Bidston Village Road (east side) Church of St Oswald

(Formerly listed under HOYLAKE ROAD) 29/07/50

GV II Parish Church. Largely 1856 by W. and J. Hay but incorporating late medieval tower and with chancel and possibly north aisle added or remodelled in 1882 by G.E.Grayson. Coursed and squared rubble in large blocks, but randomly coursed in north aisle and chancel. Westmorland slate roof with ridge cresting. Nave with west tower, two aisles and chancel. Early C16 three-stage west tower with angle buttresses.

Perpendicular stilted moulded arch to west door with drop ended hood-mould over. Frieze of quatrefoil panels and coats of arms over doorway. Three-light window above with ogival hoodmould continuing as string course. Three-light bell-chamber window in third stage. Embattled parapet with corbel table. North aisle has two-light Decorated window in west wall, and two in north wall. Gabled vestry wing dated 1903 projects, possibly incorporating earlier fabric in its west wall. Paired lancet lights in north wall of short chancel, and three-light Decorated window with hood mould carried on corbel heads to the east. Small foiled lancet in south wall, and parapet with frieze dated 1882. Gabled porch in south aisle, with chamfered archway. Dated 1593 with date of rebuilding, 1856. Stilted arches to two-light Decorated windows and small side door with hoodmould over.

Interior space has been divided by a new screen leaving exposed a nave of three bays. Cylindrical shafts to steeply arched arcade. Nave roof with shallow curved principal trusses with collar. Chancel arch carried on corbels. Sedilia in chancel dated 1882: foiled arches on foiliate corbels. Reredos by Salviati, mosaic Last Supper with wood canopy frieze over. Painted roof with angel corbels over choir, the rest boarded. North aisle has two-light Decorated window in west wall, and two in north wall.

Listing NGR: SJ2834790252

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
389234
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Hubbard, E, The Buildings of England: Cheshire, (1971)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Jul 2006
Reference: IOE01/13862/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Geoffrey Court. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].