ST JOSEPH'S ROMAN CATHOLIC COLLEGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1201610

Date first listed: 25-Jun-1973

Statutory Address: ST JOSEPH'S ROMAN CATHOLIC COLLEGE, STONEY BROW

Map

Ordnance survey map of ST JOSEPH'S ROMAN CATHOLIC COLLEGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1201610 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2018 at 00:46:43.

Location

Statutory Address: ST JOSEPH'S ROMAN CATHOLIC COLLEGE, STONEY BROW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: West Lancashire (District Authority)

Parish: Up Holland

National Grid Reference: SD 51660 06483

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

UP HOLLAND

SD50NW STONEY BROW, Roby Mill 783-1/2/121 (West side (off)) 25/06/73 St Joseph's Roman Catholic College

II

Roman Catholic seminary, now theological institute. 1880-83. By J O'Byrne for the Roman Catholic Diocese of Liverpool, greatly enlarged and chapel added 1921-8 by Pugin and Pugin. Coursed rock-faced sandstone with slate roofs, the original building (now the west wing) in yellow sandstone with red sandstone dressings and all the rest in red sandstone. Large quadrangular plan formed by additions to the east and south of the original building: the north wing in 1923; the east wing in 1925; the south wing, its westward continuation and the chapel to which this leads, all added in 1926-7. Gothic style. The original building, now forming the west side of the quadrangle, 3 storeys plus an attic to the centre, 1:6:3:6:1 bays, is symmetrical, with a tall gabled centre: this has buttresses, a large central doorway with double doors and a 3-light overlight, coupled 4-pane sashed windows at ground floor, 1:2:1-light sashes at 1st floor, similar fenestration at 2nd floor except that the centre windows are lancets, a large clock-face at attic level flanked by coupled lancets, and a louvred rectangular bellcote on the ridge with a swept pavilion roof; the flanking ranges have sashed windows on all floors, coupled at ground floor, single at 1st floor and coupled at 2nd floor; and the end bays are gabled, with coupled sashed windows on all floors. The present entrance front is the south wing, which is 3 and 4 storeys over a basement, 3:7:3:7:3 windows, symmetrical, with a rectangular 4-storey tower in the centre and square 4-storey towers at the corners. The central tower has a gabled 2-storey 3-bay porte-cochere with a segmental-pointed arcade at ground floor, cross-windows flanking a canopied niche at 1st floor, and a stepped parapet; above this, the 2nd floor has two 2-centred arched 2-light windows and the 3rd floor has 3 cross-windows with arched upper lights, both with run-out hoodmoulds, from the upper of which slender shafts rise to a stepped and pierced parapet. The 7-bay side ranges have mullion-and-transom windows at ground and 1st floors, including shallow canted bays in the centre and shallow oriels at 1st floor of the bays 2nd from the centre; and mullioned windows with cusped lights at 2nd floor. The 3-bay corner towers have sashed windows to the main floors (differing slightly, and those at 2nd floor with arched overlights), lancets to the top floor and parapets like that in the centre. The east wing, 2:7:2:7:2 bays with buttresses, the centre breaking forwards slightly and finished with coupled gables, is in simpler style, the basement forming a lower ground floor with coupled segmental-pointed archways in the centre and a segmental-pointed doorway at each end; pairs of single-light sashed windows to each of the upper floors (those of the end bays staggered, for staircases, and the others diminishing in the height); and a slightly higher tower at the north end surmounted by an observatory dome. The courtyard facades of all 3 of the 1920s wings are buttressed and have stepped triple-light windows at ground floor with cusped lights; the south range has similar windows at 1st floor and windows with similar cusped lights at 2nd floor; the 16-bay north range has mostly 2 windows per bay; and all these ranges have 3-light hipped dormer windows behind the parapets. The chapel, linked to the west end of the south wing on a parallel axis, consists principally of a 9-bay choir and short 3-bay nave in one vessel, with a north transept and an unfinished south tower to the latter, all with buttresses; the choir has 2-centred arched 3-light windows with tracery (all different); the 2-stage tower has a 2-light arched window at ground floor, a pair of square-headed 2-light windows with cusped lights at 1st floor, and a pyramidal roof. The west end has triple gables, a 3-bay porch and a wide 2-centred arched west window with circular tracery. The INTERIOR of the choir has (inter alia) arcaded side walls, an impressive double-tiered hammerbeam roof, Gothic choir stalls, and a Gothic wooden screen. HISTORY: became theological institute known as Upholland Northern Institute in 1976, following transfer of seminary to St Cuthbert's, Ushaw. A large and impressive complex of buildings in a surprisingly conservative style for the dates.

Listing NGR: SD5166006483

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 389073

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing