This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1201666



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: West Lancashire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Up Holland

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 07-Jan-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 388993

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SD5205 CHURCH STREET 783-1/7/31 (East side) 07/01/52 Church of St Thomas the Martyr


Parish church, the nave formerly the chancel of the Benedictine Priory of Up Holland founded in 1317-18 by Walter Lang, Bishop of Lichfield. Early C14 nave with north and south aisles (restored C19), late C15 west tower, chancel of 1882-6, with crypt. Coursed rubble; slate roofs. The tower, of 4 unequal stages, with diagonal buttresses which have 8 set-offs, has a low 2-centred arched west doorway with 3 orders of hollow moulding containing masks, shields, figures and Tudor roses; a large C19 2-centred arched 3-light west window with reticulated tracery; a drip-band, and 2-light belfry windows with stone louvres, a short top stage with clock faces, a drip-band over this with grotesques, and an embattled parapet with corner pinnacles; and, in the angle of the north side, a low Tudor-arched doorway with chamfered surround. The junction of the north aisle and the tower incorporates a redundant quatrefoil pier of the former crossing, and to the left of this a 2-centred arched 4-light window with C19 intersecting tracery. The 4-bay aisles have large buttresses and 2-centred arched C19 windows with reticulated tracery, and similar windows at the east end. The chancel is 2 bays over a crypt, with a short extruded polygonal stair-turret down to the crypt, flanked by low 2-light windows to the crypt and transomed 2-light windows above; its east end has 2 doorways to the crypt, and a large 5-light east window with elaborate reticulated tracery including a rose composed of mouchettes and quatrefoils. INTERIOR: 4-bay aisle arcades of quatrefoil columns with moulded annular caps and 2-centred arches with 2 orders of rounded chamfer and hoodmoulds with carved stops; 2-centred tower moulded in 3 orders with moulded impost bands; large 2-centred chancel arch moulded in 3 orders; C20 ceilings; 2 painted hatchments in each aisle, painted wooden Commandment Table and 2 painted wooden benefaction lists in south aisle, and painted Arms of George I in north aisle. At west end of nave, a fine Church Wardens' pew dated 1679, with muntin-and-rail panelling and top rail with raised lettering: WILLIAM: GASKELL: OF: HOLLAND: AND: ROBERT: BIRC/ HALL: OF: ORREL: CHURCH: WARDENS: THIS: YEARE: 1679. In base of tower, a Church Wardens' cupboard dated 1720 with shouldered fielded panel doors, the lintel inscribed: "Thomas Prescott Lawrence Eaton/ Wardens 1720" and both doors with inscribed scriptural quotations relating to charity. Forms group with stone piers and lamp at foot of steps (qv), Conservative Club to south-west (qv), remains of former Up Holland Priory (qv) and No.7, Priory House (qv) to south.

Listing NGR: SD5231005106

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 52312 05106


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1201666 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2018 at 03:09:25.

End of official listing