MANOR HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1201667
Date first listed:
07-Jan-1952
Statutory Address:
MANOR HOUSE, CRAWFORD ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of MANOR HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1201667 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2019 at 05:36:56.

Location

Statutory Address:
MANOR HOUSE, CRAWFORD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
West Lancashire (District Authority)
Parish:
Up Holland
National Grid Reference:
SD 50081 03107

Details

UP HOLLAND

SD50SW CRAWFORD ROAD, Crawford 783-1/4/84 (North side) 07/01/52 Manor House

GV II*

Manor house; renovation and partial re-building in progress at time of survey. Dated 1718 on porch; altered. Coursed squared sandstone (sand-blasted), restored stone slate roof, brick chimneys. Rectangular 3-bay one-and-a-half depth plan with projecting porch. Late example of vernacular style, combining symmetrical form with traditional features. Two-and-a-half storeys, 2:1:2 windows, symmetrical; with a high chamfered plinth, channelled corner pilasters, and plain drip-bands on 2 levels. In the centre is a two-and-a-half storey gabled porch which has a round-headed outer doorway, up 2 semi-circular steps, with a moulded surround and prominent moulded imposts, a recessed fanlight with radiating glazing bars, and a square-headed inner doorway with a moulded architrave and a door with 6 fielded panels; a rectangular datestone inscribed "1718" and a transomed 6-light window at 1st floor, and a cross-window above, both these with moulded architraves and keyblocks and short straight bands over them. Both principal floors have similar transomed 6-light windows, and over each outer bay is a gabled half-dormer with a cross-window; all windows have flat-faced mullions and transoms, all those to the left recently renewed, (and lacked glazing at time of survey). 2 large clustered ridge chimneys. The left gable wall (recently rebuilt) has a central doorway and 2 cross-windows on each floor (except for a 6-light window at 1st floor); the right-hand gable wall is blind. The 4-window rear wall has mullioned windows with chamfered surrounds and flat-faced mullions, including 2 of 4 lights at the east end (the lower altered by insertion of a doorway) and 3 gabled 2-light half-dormers; and 2 double-chamfered cross-windows to the staircase. INTERIOR: direct entry into the centre of 3 principal rooms at ground floor; narrow axial corridor, with small rooms and staircase to rear of this; partition walls of brick (but some now replaced with concrete blocks); some large chamfered beams in the east and rear rooms (but other floors renewed); doglegged staircase with closed string, square newels with shouldered panels, turned balusters and moulded handrail (1st stage removed at time of survey). HISTORY: probably built for Christopher Pennington of Up Holland. A fine example of its type and date. (Private Report and Survey: Miller G: 1987-).

Listing NGR: SD5008103107

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
388997
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Jul 2000
Reference: IOE01/01341/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Simon Barker. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].