Werneth Grange

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1201674
Date first listed:
08-Mar-1993
Statutory Address:
Werneth Grange, Grange Avenue, Oldham, OL8 4EL

Map

Ordnance survey map of Werneth Grange
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1201674 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Aug-2019 at 16:37:10.

Location

Statutory Address:
Werneth Grange, Grange Avenue, Oldham, OL8 4EL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Oldham (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 91338 03818

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 26/07/2019

SD90SW 780-1/3/35

OLDHAM GRANGE AVENUE (North side) Werneth Grange

(Formerly listed as Werneth Grange Convent)

II House, used as a convent between 1907-2018. Dated 1871 with early C20 extensions. Coursed and squared rusticated rubble with banded Welsh slate roof. Gothic style.

Original house two storeys with attic and square in plan, asymmetrically arranged. Extended early C20 on conversion to convent by addition of chapel and accommodation block behind it, on site of earlier stables and now forming east wing of house.

Entrance front of original house a three-window range, with right-hand half-hipped advanced gable, and principal doorway to left in angle with range facing garden, in wood traceried gabled porch, with swept roof. Further doorway in angle with right hand gable, in shallow projecting two-storeyed porch with swept conical roof. Paired sash windows to the ground floor, and three-light mullioned and transomed window above between these entrances. Advanced gable to right with central oriel bow window to first floor, sprung from corbel, paired lancet windows to attic above, and two-pane sash windows to ground floor, separated by a buttress and with hood-moulds over. Narrow gable to the far right probably associated with early C20 additions has moulded archway to recessed porch and timber canted oriel above, with leaded lights. Gable end of garden front to the left of the main entrance porch, with expressed gable end stack with date in roundel, and oriel window wrapped round angle as pinnacle with lancet lights and spirelet.

Almost symmetrical garden front with outer gables, 3 and 2:3:2 light bay windows under leaded roofs, and three-light mullioned and transomed windows above. Central section has two-light mullioned and transomed window with traceried upper lights. Gable end stacks to garden range, axial stacks to entrance and rear block. Chapel projects as east wing of house, in austere Early English style of three lofty bays.

INTERIOR: retains many original features including tiled central stair hall, with gothic stair case and stained glass internal windows and doors.

The house became a convent of the Sisters of Mercy in 1907, when the chapel wing was added. The oak fittings of the chapel were removed from the chapel of an earlier convent in Cardinal Street, Oldham.

Listing NGR: SD9133803818

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
388898
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Apr 2001
Reference: IOE01/03735/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Pamela Jackson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].