OLDHAM EQUITABLE CO OPERATIVE SOCIETY BUILDINGS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1201676
Date first listed:
08-Mar-1993
Statutory Address:
OLDHAM EQUITABLE CO OPERATIVE SOCIETY BUILDINGS, HUDDERSFIELD ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of OLDHAM EQUITABLE CO OPERATIVE SOCIETY BUILDINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1201676 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2019 at 05:15:20.

Location

Statutory Address:
OLDHAM EQUITABLE CO OPERATIVE SOCIETY BUILDINGS, HUDDERSFIELD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Oldham (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 94184 05603

Details

OLDHAM

SD90NW HUDDERSFIELD ROAD 780-1/1/42 (South East side) Oldham Equitable Co-Operative Society Buildings

II

Co-operative Society buildings. 1900. By Thomas Taylor of Oldham. Ashlar faced to brick with Welsh slate roof. 3 principal storeys, divided unequally into 3 main sections with massive gable flanked by blocks of 2 and 5 bays. Left-hand range is gabled at right-angles to street, and has modified ground floor, and 2 wide segmentally-arched windows to first floor divided by polygonal pilasters which continue across second storey and the parapet. Arcaded upper storey of 5 bays, with marked entasis to piers. Similar pattern repeated in 5 bays to left of gable which are roofed parallel to street. Central block comprises a high gable at right-angles to street, with modified ground floor, 5 windows with bracketed sills and entablatures to first floor, and massive semi-circular window with round-headed mullioned lights above. Scalloped decoration above and below. Coped gable with terminal pinnacles each side. "Oldham Equitable Co-Operative Society" in decorative low relief above first floor windows. Ground floor throughout has late C20 fascias but the original polished granite columns survive, though mostly encased. The building was originally of greater extent with a courtyard to the rear, and the existing rear walls are faced with white glazed brick. The building was designed to include drapery, gentlemen's outfitting, furnishing, boot and shoe, butchering and grocery departments, together with offices, committee and board rooms, and included an educational department with newsroom, library and conversation room. 2 large public halls were also provided. (Walters C: The Combined History of the Equitable and Industrial Societies: Manchester: 1900-: P.145-149).

Listing NGR: SD9418405603

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
388905
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Walters, C, The Combined History of the Equitable and Industrial Societies, (1900), 145-149

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Mar 2001
Reference: IOE01/02821/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Pamela Jackson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].