CHURCH OF ST THOMAS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1201683

Date first listed: 08-Mar-1993

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST THOMAS, NORTHGATE LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST THOMAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1201683 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 07:16:44.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST THOMAS, NORTHGATE LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Oldham (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SD 95067 07542

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

OLDHAM

SD90NE NORTHGATE LANE 780-1/2/59 (West side) Church of St Thomas

II

Parish church. 1872, western vestry added 1933. By H Cockburn. Coursed and squared rubble laid in small blocks. Welsh slate roof with scalloped bands. West tower, nave with clerestory, 2 lean-to aisles, chancel. West tower with angle buttresses, west door in double chamfered arch, 3-light Decorated window over, and foiled lancet above. Clock, then paired bell-chamber lights in recessed upper stage with octagonal pilasters terminating in traceried pinnacles to parapet above. Turret with spirelet to north east. 3-light windows with stilted arch in west of south aisle, canted vestry to north aisle, added 1933. Gabled south porch, with paired shafts to doorway. Paired plate traceried windows in stilted arches to aisles. Gabled chapel to east of north aisle, vestry east of south aisle. 3-light plate traceried windows in stilted arches to clerestory. 2-tier 2-light chancel windows, eaves cornice with rosettes to chancel, and angle buttresses. 5-light Decorated East window, and cinquefoil lights in chancel clerestory to north. INTERIOR: west tower arch with clustered shafts, and nave arcade of 4 bays also with clustered shafts on high bases, with octagonal capitals and double chamfered arches. String course over, and wall shafts carrying cambered roof trusses, with collar and two purlins. Wide double chamfered chancel arch carried on shafts sprung from corbels. North aisle chapel with oak fittings, including memorial screen. Encaustic tiled floor to chancel; reredos, stone with marble inlay, flanked by tiled panels with some low relief. Marble panels above, inscribed with 10 commandments etc. Organ chamber to the south. Integral pulpit to north of chancel arch, timber on stone base, with high relief figures of saints. Octagonal font with recessed panels each with high relief, beneath tower. STAINED GLASS: north aisle with windows of 1902 and 1908 by Mayer and Co of Munich, and of 1928 by Jones and Willis. East window in medieval idiom, date unknown, but probably c1880. South aisle windows by Capronnier, dated between 1881 and 1891 and forming a series.

Listing NGR: SD9506707542

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 388923

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing