CHURCH OF ST MARGARET

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1201707

Date first listed: 08-Mar-1993

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARGARET, CHAPEL ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARGARET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1201707 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 20:48:11.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARGARET, CHAPEL ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Oldham (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SD 91081 03101

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 90 SW, 780-1/3/16

OLDHAM, CHAPEL ROAD (north-east side), Church of St Margaret

II

Parish church. 1877-79. By R Knill Freeman. Coursed and squared rubble, cut in small blocks. Graded slate roof with ridge cresting. NW tower (1906), nave with two aisles and clerestory. Transepts, vestry and chapel either side of chancel. Tower has three principal stages, with west doorway with shafts to archway, and plate traceried window to north. Decorated windows and clock in upper stage, and triple chamfered lights to bell chamber. Clasping buttresses, and embattled parapet. 5-light Decorated west window, with war memorial in traceried panels below. Lean-to aisles, expressed as three bays each with paired wide lancet windows. Paired Decorated clerestory lights with sandstone ashlar dressings in shallow panels. 4-light Decorated windows to transepts. Octagonal turret with spirelet to north transept. Chancel chapel has 3-light mullioned and transomed windows. 5-light Decorated east window to chancel. 2-storeyed north vestry.

INTERIOR: 5-bay arcade of clustered shafts in which single-banded marble shaft with foliate capital carries square wall pilaster supporting cambered trusses of coffered boarded ceiling. Carved heads as capitals to responds. Subsidiary low and narrow arch at west end with angel corbels. Wider eastern arches to transepts, and higher blind traceried clerestory over. Shallow segmental arches across eastern ends of aisles, probably serving as buttresses. Organ chamber in north transept with organ by Hills of London, 1886. Chapel to south. Wide chancel arch with shafts. Canted oak traceried chancel screen on stone base with ogival central arch and coved canopy. Integral pulpit with paired open traceried panels in each face. Stained glass: south transept window by Capronnier, dated 1887. West window also Capronnier, dated 1884. East window in medieval style with narrative in dark coloured medallions, 1882. Medallion in north-west window said to have come from earlier church on site. Various marble memorial tablets on west wall, including one commemorating James Wolfenden, a mathematician, d.1841.

Listing NGR: SD9108103101

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 388878

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South Lancashire, (1969)

End of official listing