BIRKENHEAD SCHOOL PREPARATORY DEPARTMENT

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1201733

Date first listed: 10-Aug-1992

Statutory Address: BIRKENHEAD SCHOOL PREPARATORY DEPARTMENT, SHREWSBURY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of BIRKENHEAD SCHOOL PREPARATORY DEPARTMENT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1201733 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 22:28:42.

Location

Statutory Address: BIRKENHEAD SCHOOL PREPARATORY DEPARTMENT, SHREWSBURY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wirral (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SJ 30038 88144

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BIRKENHEAD

SJ3088 SHREWSBURY ROAD, Oxton 789-1/10/229 (West side) Birkenhead School Preparatory Department

II

School. Early 1870s (the hall 1871). Original designs by Lucy, executed by Walter Scott. Chapel of 1883 by F.W.Hornblower and H.Townsend. Brick with stone dressings and Welsh slate and concrete tiled roofs. Tudor gothic style. Group of buildings comprising hall linked to school house and headmaster's house, with chapel to rear. Hall, formerly open to the roof, now with inserted floor of 1888-9. Five bays divided by buttresses and with full-height 4-centred arched windows, traceried above, mullioned and transomed below, the two parts separated by panelled frieze. Entrance block to the right, 2 storeys, 3-window range with central pedimented gabled porch with moulded 4-centred arched doorway, and flanking mullioned and transomed windows. Traceried transomed windows beneath gables. Coped gables with finials. Tower to the rear of this block with pyramidal roof. The hall is linked by a short wall to the main boarding house block of 1878. Three storeys, 4-window range with entrance to left of centre in advanced gable. Moulded arched doorway, with full-height oriel window with traceried lights above. Paired windows each side of entrance block, with arched tympana to ground floor and attic windows which are partly in the gables over each bay. Recessed to the left of this block, to which it is linked by a short cloister range, is the headmaster's house (a somewhat later addition). 2 storeys with attic, wide hipped roofed wing to left, with arched doorway to right with hood mould. Squared bay window to its left with paired sash windows and parapet. Traceried mullioned and transomed window above with gablet over typanum. Recessed to the left, a 2-window range with wide gable with arched attic window. Chapel to rear, between hall and schoolhouse: red brick with blue bands and steep Welsh slate roof. Nave with undivided chancel, divided into 5 bays by stepped buttresses. Square-headed foiled mullioned and transomed 3-light windows with brick relieving arches over. Canted porch with hipped roof to west, added 1884. E window of 5 lights, and coped eastern gable with cross finial. Interior has undivided chancel raised up steps. Hammer beam roof and traceried panelling to reredos and organ loft. Stained glass in E window, c 1914-17.

Listing NGR: SJ3003888144

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 389348

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing