Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1201757.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 05-Dec-2020 at 06:31:00.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Wirral (Metropolitan Authority)
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:



SJ3288NE PRIORY STREET 789-1/14/140 (East side) 29/07/50 Remains of Birkenhead Priory


Formerly known as: Old Priory Ruins ST MARY'S GATE. Priory ruins. Built in several phases between 1150-1400. North and west ranges around cloister which was to north of Priory church now destroyed. North range comprises C14 refectory building with vaulted undercroft. West range of c1250 with C14 remodelling comprises the guest hall and monks parlour. Church to south, but all that remains above ground is the base of a shaft and the scars of walling. Chapter house of c1150 (q.v.) in eastern range, also archway formerly giving access to destroyed infirmary and blocked arch to dormitory also destroyed in wall adjacent to Chapter House. Refectory building of coursed and squared rubble with buttressed west wall and 2-light chamfered mullioned windows. Traces of 2 blocked arched openings towards the east. Arched entrance to buttery on east elevation, and 2 square-headed windows above in extensively restored upper wall. Inside, buttery and undercroft have quadripartite rib vaulting, carried on octagonal shafts and moulded corbels. Western range ruinous, but substantial remains of walling survives. Against its east wall, the scars of the priory church north wall, and of a small structure north of this are clearly visible. Springing for vaulting of cloister roof also visible, and doorway through to monks parlour at the south end. West wall has deep moulded doorway towards the north, and Decorated windows (a C19 restoration). Small window with chamfered arched head, and doorway towards the south, giving access to monks parlour, with ball-flower frieze. 2-light foiled Decorated windows in south wall at upper level, and small windows below. Inside, the monks parlour with Prior's solar over comprised the southern bay. Of this, remains of the cross wall dividing it from the guest hall, and a passage through the east wall linking the two survive. In the walls, remains of fireplaces at both levels, and a door leading to former prior's stairs in the upper south-east angle. The Priory was founded in 1150 by Hamo de Massey as a Benedictine House. See also Ruins of Church of St Mary, and Chapter House of Birkenhead Priory. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N and Hubbard E: Cheshire: Harmondsworth: 1971-).

Listing NGR: SJ3280088568


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Hubbard, E, The Buildings of England: Cheshire, (1971)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 May 2006
Reference: IOE01/12602/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Geoffrey Court. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].