THE LAW COURTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1201845
Date first listed:
16-Jul-1949
Statutory Address:
THE LAW COURTS, NORTH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE LAW COURTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1201845 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2019 at 00:04:28.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE LAW COURTS, NORTH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Wolverhampton (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SO 91261 98714

Details

WOLVERHAMPTON

SO9198NW NORTH STREET 895-1/11/276 (West side) 16/07/49 The Law Courts (Formerly Listed as: NORTH STREET, Wolverhampton (West side) Town Hall)

GV II

Shown on O.S. map as Town Hall. Town Hall, now Crown Courts. 1867-71. By E.Bates. Ashlar with brick returns, slate roofs. 2 storeys with attic; 15 bays, centre bay and 2 bays at each end project. French Renaissance style. Rock-faced plinth, band over ground floor, giant angle pilasters and top entablature with balustraded parapet; centre bay has paired pilasters. Ground floor has segmental-headed windows with keystones and sashes; 1st floor has round-headed casement windows in recesses with flat pilasters, archivolts and keystones, that to centre is Venetian window with enriched spandrels and large keystone, bracketed balcony has panel with town arms; frieze above is panelled. Segmental-headed central entrance has architrave, keystone and lamp bracket with later lamp, paired panelled doors. Central bay has clock to parapet with segmental pediment and 6 flanking urns, domical vault with iron cresting and 2 enriched bulls' eyes; flanking stacks with cornices; end bays have round-headed dormer windows with segmental pediments and flanking urns, pavilion roofs have iron cresting and flanking stacks. Returns have similar treatment to 1st 2 bays with blind windows, the rest of brick with windows in round-headed recesses over basement due to slope of ground, 3 bays to right return have large windows to former council chamber. INTERIOR: octagonal entrance hall has piers with Corinthian capitals, coved ceiling and lantern with moulded surround; elliptical arch to entrance has coffered soffit, wood balustraded balcony above; entrances to left and right have panelled pilaster strips and friezes under consoled segmental pediments and paired panelled doors; staircase leads off hall to rear, square balusters to swept-out handrails, statue of G.B.Thorneycroft, the 1st mayor, 1851, taken from his grave in Wolverhampton Cemetery in 1874; other faces have niches with coffered vaulting; floor has central panel of encaustic tiles; No 2 court, formerly council chamber, has panelled walls and fittings and coved canopy with central domical vault to dais; stained glass to windows; Ionic columns to balcony. Panelled Mayor's Parlour with ribbed ceiling, open pedimented doorway and Ionic pilasters to overmantle of fireplace. (West KJ: Merridale Heritage Trail: Wolverhampton: P.10).

Listing NGR: SO9126198714

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
378506
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/06838/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr GW Tanner. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].