PARK HALL HOTEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1201851
Date first listed:
11-Aug-1950
Statutory Address:
PARK HALL HOTEL, PARK DRIVE

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARK HALL HOTEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1201851 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 04:36:25.

Location

Statutory Address:
PARK HALL HOTEL, PARK DRIVE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Wolverhampton (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SO 91298 95892

Details

WOLVERHAMPTON

SO99NW PARK DRIVE 895-1/5/68 (South side) 11/08/50 Park Hall Hotel

II

House, later Roman Catholic school, now hotel. 1705; additions of later C18; alterations including windows, c1836; C20 alterations and additions. Brick with ashlar dressings; slate roofs with brick stacks. Early Georgian style. 3 storeys; symmetrical 5-window range with flanking 2-storey 3-window ranges; that to left has 3-window extension; that to right has C20 eleven-window extension. Central range has platt bands over ground and 1st floors; top cornice and hipped roof; quoins. Centrepiece has entrance in bolection-moulded eared architrave in aedicule with Doric pilasters, entablature with cherub, vine trail and masks of C17 style and broken segmental pediment; 4-panel door; 1st floor has window in eared architrave, moulded sill and apron in aedicule with Ionic pilasters, entablature with pulvinated frieze and broken pediment; 2nd floor has window in bolection-moulded eared architrave with mask and keystone in aedicule with Corinthian pilasters; other windows have rubbed brick flat arches with fielded-panel keystones; all have 4-pane horned sashes with moulded frames. Wings have similar details; entrance with cornice to left wing; C20 extension to right wing has projecting ground floor. Rear has large C20 single-storey extension; narrow sashed windows above; returns of central range have heads of 2nd floor windows. INTERIOR much altered. One of a number of good early C18 houses in the borough; important as an early Catholic school, founded by Bishop Richard Challoner, with connections with many notable Catholics of the C18 and C19, including John Kemble, actor, and Bishop John Milner (q.v. Church of SS Peter & Paul and Giffard House, North St). (Buscot W, V Rev Canon: The History of Cotton College: London: 1940-: P.3-209; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Staffordshire: London: 1974-: P.232).

Listing NGR: SO9129895892

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
378517
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Buscot, W , The History of Cotton College, (1940)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, (1974), 232

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Aug 2005
Reference: IOE01/14576/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Garratt. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].