Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1201924

Date first listed: 29-Sep-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 05-Apr-1993



© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1201924 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Jan-2019 at 05:18:43.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Ryedale (District Authority)

Parish: Malton

National Grid Reference: SE 79861 72484


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SE7872 TOWN STREET, Old Malton 801-1/6/232 (South side (off)) 29/09/51 Old Abbey and attached outbuildings (Formerly Listed as: TOWN STREET, Old Malton (South East side) The Abbey House)


Shown on OS map as The Abbey House. House, with attached outbuildings and stable block; now residential home. Late C17, incorporating C12 undercroft of adjacent Gilbertine Priory of St Mary; late C18 alteration and extensions, including stable block; further alteration and extension in late C19 and C20. Original house of coursed squared sandstone, with some areas of irregular stone, and part on chamfered plinth; rear wings of orange-red brick in Flemish bond, with dressings of gauged brick and keyblocks of sandstone. Pantile roofs, with stone slate verge and coped gables, moulded kneelers and ball and pedestal finials to earlier parts; roofs to wings are hipped. Dentil cornice brick stacks. Outbuildings of coursed squared stone and rubble stone, with stone coped gables and shaped kneelers to pantile roofs, with brick stacks. Originally a hall house, with later extensions to sides and rear. 2 storeys and attic; 4-window centre range, with 2-storey 1-window gabled cross-wings at each end. Altered doorway at right end of centre range, to right of blocked original door, from which flat coved hoodmould survives: present door is of 4 sunk panels, beneath tall Gothick-glazed overlight. At left end, second former door is blocked by C19 cross-window. Other windows to front are 12-pane sashes with painted stone sills. Coved first-floor string course and cavetto-moulded eaves. 2 gabled dormers in attic have 2x6-pane casement windows. Wing to left has single-pane sashes on both floors; wing to right has 16-pane ground floor sash, and 12-pane first floor sash. All openings have painted timber lintels. Left return: 2-storey 2-window cross-wing return front, with taller 2-storey 3-window extension to left, and further 2-storey 1-bay extension at left end. Windows in cross-wing return are single-pane sashes. Extension has half-glazed door beneath divided overlight, to right of two 12-pane sashes in enlarged openings. First-floor windows are squat 12-pane sashes. All openings have painted timber lintels. No openings to end extension. INTERIOR. Open-string main staircase, with column-on-vase balusters; ramped-up, moulded handrail, wreathed at foot around column newel. Close-string secondary staircase with column balusters, moulded handrail and square newels. Original kitchen fireplace in right cross-wing passage has chamfered jambs and elliptical arch of voussoirs. Front room of right cross-wing contains brick-built bank of round-arched ovens on stone plinth, and Yates of Malton cast-iron range in later fireplace. Undercroft: forms cellar beneath 2 service rooms adjacent to kitchen. Entry is from small yard at right end of house, down short flight of stairs, flanked by foliate-carved pyramidal stones (possibly crocketed pinnacles). Doorway is segment-arched and chamfered, with plank and batten door. Square quadripartite vaulted room of 4 bays formed by single-chamfered ribs springing from central cylindrical column, with moulded base and capital. Ribs rest on responds on 3 sides of room, half-octagonal in north and south walls, half-cylindrical in west wall; and on moulded corbels in east wall and each corner. Stone bench runs the length of wall to right (west), which is broken by deeply set 2-light mullion window, with chamfered mullion and double chamfered surround. Left of door is probable fireplace with double-chamfered 2-centred arched lintel. In rear left quarter is round brick arch, leading to tunnel-vaulted passage. Outbuilding: 1 storey and attic; 4-bay stable block with loft. Segment-arched opening to right of centre, between round-arched radial-glazed sash windows with painted stone sills; round-arched opening at left end obscured by lean-to building. Each opening has raised archivolt over impost band; raised eaves band. Right return: board door with tall overlight to left, with offset boarded loft door above, both with timber lintels. The house is on the site of the C12 Gilbertine Priory of St Mary, a Scheduled Ancient Monument, County List No.383. (Harrison B J D et al: OLD MALTON, Abbey House: 1987-: 1180).

Listing NGR: SE7986172484


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 389554

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Harrison, B J D et al, Old Malton Abbey House, (1987), 1180

End of official listing