CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1201930
Date first listed:
29-Sep-1951
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, MARKET PLACE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1201930 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2019 at 20:21:36.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, MARKET PLACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
North Yorkshire
District:
Ryedale (District Authority)
Parish:
Malton
National Grid Reference:
SE 78564 71716

Details

MALTON

SE780715 MARKET PLACE 801-1/8/80 Church of St Michael 29/09/51

GV II*

Church. Nave c1150; C15 tower; chancel rebuilt in 1858; south arcade rebuilt, and transepts constructed, in 1883; south side rebuilt in 1966; north aisle re-roofed c1986. Dressed sandstone, with transepts of rock-faced stone, and C20 rebuilding in ashlar; slate roof. 2-bay chancel, with vestry and organ chamber to north, and south chapel; 4-bay aisled nave and clerestorey; west tower. East window of 3 stepped lights over sillband, with glazed roundel above. Chancel north side obscured by vestry; on south side is a single window. East and south windows have continuous hoods of chevron moulding. North transept has 3 single light windows over sillband, beneath cross-gabled roof. South transept has 2 separate single-light windows with sillband beneath glazed quatrefoil in a circular surround. Coped cross-gabled roof with foliate gable cross. North aisle wall is of 4 recessed bays between plain pilasters, each containing a single light. Clerestorey has 4 windows beneath continuous hood of chevron moulding. South aisle wall rebuilt to match north wall, and clerestorey repeats that on north side. Aisles and clerestoreys have corbel tables, and nave roof is crested with gable cross at east end. All windows to chancel, aisles and clerestoreys are round-headed. 3-stage tower with angle buttresses, on chamfered plinth. C19 roll-moulded west doorway in 4-centred arch of 3 orders, beneath flat hoodmould with mouchettes in the spandrels. Inserted Perpendicular window over doorway. Belfry has pointed cusped openings beneath flat hoods, paired on north, south and west faces, single to east. Moulded strings between first and second stages on north and south faces interrupted on west by later window: moulded strings between second and belfry stages, and below plain parapet, on all sides. INTERIOR: C19 round chancel arch of 2 orders on one shaft and one respond, both with scalloped capitals; hoodmould of simplified beakhead on mask stops. Above the chancel arch is a small blind round arch on shafts with scalloped capitals beneath a continuous chevron-moulded hood. North and south arcades of stepped round arches on cylindrical piers with scalloped capitals, beneath continuous hood. Original piers in north arcade stand on high cylindrical bases. Openings to clerestorey windows are deeply splayed. Tall pointed tower arch, of 2 chamfered orders, the inner dying into responds. A fine C20 Doric screen closes off the south (Lady) chapel from the chancel. C17 circular font carved with panels of intertwined foliage on C19 foot.

Listing NGR: SE7856471716

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
389459
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Mar 2002
Reference: IOE01/05783/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Turner. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].