- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
- Statutory Address:
- MALTON LODGE, 84, OLD MALTONGATE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1201941.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 28-Nov-2020 at 14:55:17.
- Statutory Address:
- MALTON LODGE, 84, OLD MALTONGATE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- North Yorkshire
- Ryedale (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SE 78974 71756
SE780715 OLD MALTONGATE 801-1/8/113 (South side) 29/09/51 No.84 Malton Lodge (Formerly Listed as: OLD MALTONGATE (South side) Malton Lodge and screen wall to N)
Gatehouse to Malton House, now house. Dated 1604; altered c1675, extended on both sides c1834; further extension to left dated 1878. Original house for Ralph, Lord Eure; 1878 extension for the Hon W H W Fitzwilliam. Original building of coursed squared sandstone; extensions of tooled sandstone, with ashlar dressings; stone stacks to pantile roof. Part of Jacobean Prodigy house, with extensions in Jacobethan style. Entrance front: 2 storeys, 5 bays, arranged 1:half:1:half:1, with clasping pilasters at each end; 1-storey 3-window extension to right and low 2-storey 2-window extension to left; later C19 extensions further left. 3 centre bays of main front break forward to form full-height Tuscan and Doric frontispiece, with renewed paired detached columns on tall pedestals. Original central round arch with carved keystone leading to inner courtyard blocked by screen wall with lunette in chamfered surround; inserted double doors of raised and fielded panelling beneath divided overlight. Flanking half-bays have 2-light ovolo mullion windows with hoodmoulds on ground floor, the left one with renewed architrave, the right one blocked; above are 18-pane staircase sashes. On first floor, windows are mullioned cross-windows beneath vestigial hoods, paired in centre bay over defaced square sundial. Windows in outer bays are blocked, except for paired 12-pane ground floor sashes to left; vestigial hoodmoulds survive over first floor windows. Moulded first-floor string course, and moulded eaves cornice beneath embattled parapet between ogee-capped turrets terminating the clasping pilasters. Defaced rectangular panel in moulded surround in centre of parapet. Lead rainwater goods at each end of front, in pilaster angles, with scallop shell clamps and rectangular hoppers stamped: Left: ANO Right: 1604/R E. Rear: detailing largely obscured by creeper, but appears to repeat entrance front though with windows altered to small-pane sashes. Right extension: clasping pilaster at right end, and 2 mullioned cross-windows, one 2-light mullion window, and moulded eaves cornice beneath embattled parapet. Rear has 6-light mullion and transom bay window. Left extension: low projecting entrance lobby added to front of earlier extension, with panelled door to left of 3-light mullion and transom window. Other details of earlier extension similar to those of right extension. Late C19 extensions: garden front. 2 storeys 4 bays, with ogee-turreted pilasters, extending into 1-storey range of outbuildings. Panelled door with divided overlight in left-of-centre bay, and full-height canted bay window at left end. All windows are mullioned, with single-pane sashes. Moulded strings at first floor and eaves levels, with plain embattled parapet. Range of outbuildings incorporates pedimented door-case with flat arch of radiating voussoirs between rusticated pilasters. Both returns are dated 1874. INTERIOR: inspection refused. Two C17 staircases with barley-sugar twist balusters are said to survive, one on each side of the central hall. A late C19 account of a visit by Dean Purey-Cust of York exists, in which a description of other fittings is given: "Above a curiously carved wooden chimneypiece are still the arms of Lord Eure. Another sitting room is panelled with Jacobean panelling. Pillars in pairs break into separate panels the wainscoting round the room. Elaborately carved pilasters support the mantlepiece, which consists of four bas reliefs depicting the story of Jonah in carved oak." In the early years of the C17, the Eure family, who were recusant, figured prominently in Royalist affairs, and Malton House was twice beseiged as a consequence. The mansion was demolished in 1674, following the death of Lord Ralph's grandson, William, when his heirs, his cousins Margaret and Mary, were unable to agree over the partition of the estate. A decision was taken by the High Sheriff of Yorkshire to dismantle the house and divide the materials between the two ladies. Mary Eure subsequently married William Palmes of Lindley, and set up a linen manufactory in the surviving buildings, in which she provided employment for the poor. c1690, she entertained Celia Fiennes in her house, who described it as a "pretty house". In 1640, Sir Henry Slingsby wrote of Malton House in his Diary. "We see an emulation in the structure of our houses if we behold that at Tibbalds, and that of my Lord Suffolk's at Audley End; so in this country my Lord Eure's at Malton, my Lord Saville's at Howley, Sir Arthur Ingram's at Temple Newsam." Malton Lodge is an extraordinary relic of a great Prodigy house, and is therefore of considerable national importance. The Lodge was in partial occupation only, at the time of list review (1990). (Hudleston N A: History of Malton and Norton: Scarborough: 1962-: 119-122; Rushton J: The Ryedale Story: Ryedale District Council: 1986-: 38, 40; Snowden K: Malton and Norton through the Ages: Pickering: 1990-: 21; Settrington J: Malton in the County of York: 1728-; Malton Lodge (Private report): 1800-; The Dalesman: Barker T E: Lord Eure's House in Malton: 1980-).
Listing NGR: SE7897471756
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Hudleston, N A , History of Malton and Norton North Yorkshire, (1962), 119-122
Rushton, J, The Ryedale Story, (1986), 38 40
Settrington, J, Malton in the County of York, (1728)
Snowden, K, Malton and Norton Through the Ages, (1990), 21
'The Dalesman' in The Dalesman, (1980)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing