PARKSIDE HOTEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1201988
Date first listed:
08-Jan-1959
Date of most recent amendment:
30-Dec-1994
Statutory Address:
PARKSIDE HOTEL, BATH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARKSIDE HOTEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1201988 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Aug-2019 at 10:58:02.

Location

Statutory Address:
PARKSIDE HOTEL, BATH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 61117 71540

Details

BRISTOL

ST67SW BATH ROAD, Brislington 901-1/56/426 (South East side) 08/01/59 Parkside Hotel (Formerly Listed as: BATH ROAD Arno's Court Hotel)

GV II*

House, formerly a convent, now hotel. 1760. Extended c1850. Possibly by James Bridges, for the Quaker and copper smelter William Reeve. Bath stone; roof not visible. Double-depth plan. Classically-derived house with applied Gothick detail. 3 storeys; 7-window range. 2 full-height canted bays, separated by the entrance; rusticated ground floor, plat bands, successively narrower, at each floor and cornice level; jutting crenellated parapet has corner blocks with sunken quatrefoils. The entrance porch has a Gibbs surround with frosted rustication and pediment containing a rocaille cartouche, with a lancet arch inside and crenellated parapet above, leading to side niches and a semicircular doorway; round-headed niches with ogee mouldings above to each side; the manner in which the porch meets the rest of the house suggests it is a later addition. Ground-floor windows are 6/6 sashes set back, with 3-part segmented heads; similar sashes to first floor have an architrave and ogee with trefoil moulding above, terminating above the string in a finial; similar ogee over middle window, but forming a cinquefoil over a semicircular opening flanked by pilasters; smaller, 3/3 second-floor sashes; all have interlacing tops. Left-hand elevation has single range of blind windows to match the front. Fenestration returns down right elevation for 7-window range, some blanked-off. INTERIOR: originally had some of Thomas Stocking's finest Rococo plasterwork, of which remains the fine trellised roses and birds on the former Drawing Room ceiling, which also has fielded shutters and moulded panels on the walls, an oval centrepiece to stairwell ceiling, and cornices in entrance hall. The staircase has been altered to a C19 imperial stair, which fits in the original apsidal well. Extended and converted to a convent c1850. Associated with the Bath House, linked by a tunnel beneath the Bath Road but removed to Portmeirion in 1957, Triumphal Arch (qv) and Black Castle (qv). (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 166; Rowbotham T L S: Arno's Court and the Black Castle: 1826-1827; Mowl T: To Build the Second City: Bristol: 1991-).

Listing NGR: ST6111771540

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
378919
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Gomme, A H, Jenner, M, Little, B D G, Bristol, An Architectural History, (1979), 166
Mowl, T, To Build a Second City, (1991)
Rowbotham, T L S , Arnos Court and the Black Castle, (1826-1827)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Feb 2001
Reference: IOE01/03193/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Cyril N. Chapman. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].