KNEE DEPOSITORY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1202007
Date first listed:
19-Mar-1986
Date of most recent amendment:
30-Dec-1994
Statutory Address:
16-22, KING'S ROAD
Statutory Address:
KNEE DEPOSITORY, 1-6A, BOYCE'S AVENUE

Map

Ordnance survey map of KNEE DEPOSITORY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1202007 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 23:49:04.

Location

Statutory Address:
16-22, KING'S ROAD
Statutory Address:
KNEE DEPOSITORY, 1-6A, BOYCE'S AVENUE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 57126 73134

Details

BRISTOL

ST5773SW BOYCE'S AVENUE, Clifton 901-1/8/694 (North side) 19/03/86 Nos.1-6A (Consecutive) Knee Depository (Formerly Listed as: KING'S ROAD, Clifton Knee Brothers Depositories)

GV II

Includes: Nos.16-22 KING'S ROAD Clifton. Also known as: Royal Bazaar and Winter Garden BOYCE'S AVENUE Clifton. Terrace of 6 shops and arcade, now depository warehouse. 1878. Designed and built by JW King. Limestone ashlar with red and black brick dressings and a slate hipped multi-roof. Rectangular plan with shops and inner arcade occupying 13x6 bays. Each of 3 storeys; 1-window range. Decorated, polychromatic shop and garage elevations to the S and W elevations, separated by shop front pilasters to incised capitals, with inverted cones to triangular finials, linked by a frieze with incised vine decoration. Pilasters above have moulded capitals to a brick parapet with stone brackets and a coping; second-floor brick band with top and bottom black brick courses. Windows have moulded lintels with incised decoration, and similar mouldings to brackets to small sill balconies with cast-iron rails with small finials; tripartite first-floor and paired second-floor windows. No.1A is set back the depth of one shop front, the arcade is behind, with matching fenestration in the returns, and a glazed roof to the shop in front. The W elevation has 2 shops, a single-storey shop, and garage doors to the left, to ground-floor elevations. INTERIOR not inspected but reported as having a 2-storey shopping arcade with a cast-iron gallery railings, a stone imperial stair at the N end with a landing under a very large rose window, the arcade lit by a continuous central skylight. An uncommon late glazed shopping arcade, little changed from the original scheme. King used similar motifs for the Montpelier Hotel, St Andrews Road. Some of the ornament derives from Owen Jones' 'Grammar of Ornament'. Acquired by Knee Bros 1912, who pioneered 'container haulage' by road and rail from 1844. (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 377).

Listing NGR: ST5712673134

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
378972
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Gomme, A H, Jenner, M, Little, B D G, Bristol, An Architectural History, (1979), 377

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 May 2007
Reference: IOE01/16565/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael Perry. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].