This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1202025



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: City of Bristol

District Type: Unitary Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 08-Jan-1959

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Dec-1994

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 379024

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



ST5973 BROADMEAD, Broadmead 901-1/40/481 (North side) 08/01/59 The New Room (Formerly Listed as: BROADMEAD Wesley's Chapel)


Shown on OS map as John Wesley's Chapel. Chapel. 1739, enlarged 1748. Possibly by George Tully. Restored 1929 by Sir George Oatley. Roughcast with limestone dressings and hipped pantile roof. Aisled hall plan, with galleried interior lit by central octagonal lantern. Mid Georgian style. 2 storeys; 2-window range. The S front has a square-headed door with pronounced jambs and key, semicircular 10/10-pane sash window above, and 2 first-floor windows with segmental heads to 8/8-pane sashes. N front has a central segmental-arched doorway beneath a segmental-arched window with 10/10-pane sashes, and 3 second-floor windows with 6/6-pane sashes. INTERIOR: 4 bays with Tuscan columns, carrying panelled galleries to the sides which curve in to the S end window. A tall central octagonal lantern lit by 10/10-pane sash windows to each side, and with 6/6-pane sashes to upstairs rooms to N and S; NE conference room; first-floor has central full-length dining room with Doric pilasters and study rooms to E and W with fireplaces, one with an elliptical rubbed-brick arched surround and blue tiles. FITTINGS: a 2-tier pulpit at the E end with ramped handrail and railed area in front, with column-on-vase balusters, box pews to centre and fronts of galleries, fixed benches to sides, and original communion table; organ by John Snetzler, 1761, given 1939; poor box, 1755, on N door. HISTORICAL NOTE: the first Methodist meeting room in the world, bought by Wesley and Whitefield in 1739 and enlarged in 1748. Originally square and with an entrance from the N, it was extended by the addition of a further bay and an entrance from Broadmead. The restricted site required living accommodation to be placed over the Meeting Room, and the whole interior to be lit by the lantern. (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 130; Sell: John Wesley's Chapel: Bristol; An Inventory of Nonconformist Central England: Stell C: Gloucestershire: London: 1986-: 65).

Listing NGR: ST5911373251

Selected Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting Houses in Central England, (1986), 65
Gomme, A H, Jenner, M, Little, B D G, Bristol, An Architectural History, (1979)
Stell, C, John Wesley's Chapel Bristol

National Grid Reference: ST 59091 73386


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1202025 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Sep-2018 at 01:34:15.

End of official listing