Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1202066.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Jul-2021 at 14:36:01.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
ST 58660 73191



ST5873SE CHRISTMAS STREET 901-1/11/55 (North West side) 08/01/59 Nos.17, 18 AND 19 St Bartholomew's Hospital (Formerly Listed as: CHRISTMAS STREET Nos.17-19 (Consecutive) incl. gateway of St Bartholomew's Hospital and buildings at rear)


C12 town house incorporated into monastery hospital founded 1240 by Sir John le Warre, Bristol Grammar School 1532-1767, Queen Elizabeth Hospital School 1767-1847, incorporating three C17 town houses, model workers flats of 1865, converted to offices 1978. Late Norman-style columns and a Decorated Gothic-style archway. MATERIALS: limestone ashlar, rendered timber-frames, brick lateral stacks and pantile roof. PLAN: internally remodelled open-plan offices to sides of 2 courtyards. EXTERIOR: street front of a row of C17 houses, each of 3 storeys and attic; 1-window range. The left-hand pair with gables to the street, the right-hand house contains a central C13 arched gateway with chamfered reveals to imposts and a deeply-moulded arch, with timber arched braces above on corbels to a jettied first floor with a C20 timber beam, and pegged mullion windows with leaded metal casements. The inside of the arch has attached columns with stiff leaf capitals, moulded as the front; a flagged passage has a blind left-hand arcade of 2 trefoil arches on columns with moulded capitals and hoodmould, facing a fine carved figure of the Madonna and Child with folded drapes, and at the far end of the passage, an elliptical arch with 1 order, columns to foliate capitals with grapes, set in the angle between 2 keel-moulded arches. A passage leads through to a 2-centre arch, set within a larger infilled 2-arch arcade on round Norman columns with scallop capitals with square abaci; a free-standing battered octagonal arch stands approx 3m in front of the left-hand column, possibly part of the hospital chapel. The left-hand gable has a jettied first floor with a slate pent, a small second-floor jetty and a moulded strip to the attic; a C19 shop front has an ovolo-moulded beam across the central doorway and plate glass windows, beneath a good 2-storey canted oriel with close studding beneath central Ipswich windows with faceted keys and small Ionic capitals beneath and flanking cross windows, with leaded metal casements, and a 4-light attic mullion window. The stone left-hand corner is curved out beneath the jetty, and the curve continues in the left return to an exterior stack, with a left-hand small first-floor opening with stone jambs and lintel, and a rear section with a Tudor-arched doorway with C20 door and a left-hand 6/6-pane sash. Above is a moulded 3-light mullion and transom window with 6 panes above and 4 panes beneath the transom, beneath an overhanging gable, against half of which the side of No.20 Christmas Steps (qv) butts. No.19 is a roughcast 2-window range with a C20 shop front beneath jettied first floor, fascia boards to first floor and eaves. Shop front has a stall riser, central doorway and glazing bars to windows, early C18 9/9-pane sashes in flush frames above. Rubble right-hand return. Facing the rear courtyard is a 3 storey 5-window late C17 range with a cornice and parapet, a central elliptical-arched doorway, cross windows with metal leaded casements and label moulds, the right-hand range separated by a pilaster strip, with a right-hand open elliptical arch, 2-centred arched first-floor window with Y tracery, and second-floor quatrefoil window. The 1865 block is 3 storeys; 11-window range. Open stone stairs with wrought-iron railings at the right-hand end to full-width cantilevered stone access balconies, double doors at the left-hand end, and on the ground floor separated by pairs of windows. 6/6-pane sashes. The rear elevation has a left-hand 7-window range of 6/6-pane sashes with timber lintels, a dividing C20 stair block, and right-hand 5-window section of alternate 3-window mullion and transom windows and trefoil-headed openings. INTERIOR: rear block ground floor with 5 chamfered heavy timber beams trenched for top joists; the block facing into the courtyard has heavy beams cut for joist joints in the third floor. HISTORICAL NOTE: the round piers predate the hospital, and may come from an aisled hall, the earliest remains of domestic architecture in the City, adapted to form the hospital chapel. The 1865 block was developed as model housing for the poor, one of the earliest such blocks of flats. The balconies formerly extended round what was an enclosed courtyard. (Loxton). (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and Bristol: London: 1958-: 438; Mallory K: The Bristol House: Bristol: 1985-: 50; Loxton S: Loxton's Bristol: Bristol: 1992-: 8).

Listing NGR: ST5866073191


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Loxton, SL , Loxtons Bristol, (1992), 8
Mallory, K, The Bristol House, (1985), 50
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/06592/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Ruth Povey. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].