BISHOPSWORTH MANOR AND ATTACHED WALLS AND PIERS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1202076

Date first listed: 08-Jan-1959

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Dec-1994

Statutory Address: BISHOPSWORTH MANOR AND ATTACHED WALLS AND PIERS, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of BISHOPSWORTH MANOR AND ATTACHED WALLS AND PIERS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1202076 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 19:46:33.

Location

Statutory Address: BISHOPSWORTH MANOR AND ATTACHED WALLS AND PIERS, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: ST 57115 68926

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRISTOL

ST5768 CHURCH ROAD, Bishopsworth 901-1/50/411 (East side) 08/01/59 Bishopsworth Manor and attached walls and piers (Formerly Listed as: CHURCH ROAD, Bishopswith Manor House) (Formerly Listed as: CHURCH ROAD, Bishopswith Walls and piers at the Manor House)

II*

House. c1720. Squared, coursed Lias rubble front with freestone dressings and rendered sides, ashlar stacks linked to form a square in the manner of Kings Weston, slate dormers and hipped mansard roof, inset to the rear with pantiles. Double-depth plan with central stairhall. Style strongly influenced by Vanbrugh's Baroque King's Weston, King's Weston Lane (qv). 2 storeys and attic; 5-window range. A symmetrical front has a pedimented central bay with pilaster quoins set forward, with a keyed elliptical-arched bolection-moulded doorway, and 8-panel door with interlace fanlight; over the door is a broken segmental pediment enclosing an urn, supported by acanthus leaf folded-scroll brackets; the window above has a keyed elliptical-arched head flanked by fluted pilasters; a first-floor string separates plate-glass sashes in flush bolection-moulded frames, under flat arches with keys, carved with grotesques on the ground floor; dentilled cornice and steep pediment, containing a square plaque with a round sunken panel. 2 wide, hipped dormers with 8/8 sashes, one pane high, with pineapple finials to dormers and pediment. Hipped mansard roof cut by rectangular indent at the back, below the central 4-sided chimney arcade which crowns the house in the manner of Kings Weston; the 2 middle stacks front and back are dummies, all 12 being linked by keyed, elliptical arches on imposts. INTERIOR: good open-well stair with triple column-on-vase balusters, fluted newels, the well lit by a 9/9 sash set in the indented rear bay, and a corniced ceiling with an oval moulding, a semicircular-arched 2-leaf glazed door from the top landing, plain, fielded panelling and shutters to the downstairs and main first-floor rooms, and internal sliding sashes between attic rooms. The cellar has a vaulted basement and freshwater cistern with a hand pump. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached rubble garden walls, coped front wall to street, with 2 pairs of gate piers linked by ramped quadrant walls, the piers with moulded caps, Grecian urns to inner piers, pineapples to outer ones. A range of farm buildings (not included) has been converted and incorporated to the rear. Much of the joinery was renewed in the 1970s restoration under architect Peter Ware. A fine early Georgian house showing an interesting stylistic connection with King's Weston. (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 115; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and Bristol: London: 1958-: 463).

Listing NGR: ST5711568926

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 379164

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Gomme, A H, Jenner, M, Little, B D G, Bristol, An Architectural History, (1979), 296
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958), 463

End of official listing