ABBEY CHAMBERS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1202084
Date first listed:
04-Mar-1977
Statutory Address:
1, 3 AND 5, BALDWIN STREET
Statutory Address:
ABBEY CHAMBERS, 4 6 8, CLARE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of ABBEY CHAMBERS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1202084 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Aug-2019 at 05:48:47.

Location

Statutory Address:
1, 3 AND 5, BALDWIN STREET
Statutory Address:
ABBEY CHAMBERS, 4 6 8, CLARE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 58649 72902

Details

BRISTOL

ST5872NE CLARE STREET, Centre 901-1/16/540 (South East side) 04/03/77 Nos.4, 6 AND 8 Abbey Chambers

GV II

Includes: Nos.1, 3 AND 5 BALDWIN STREET Centre. Bank, now offices. 1883. By Frederick Mew, reportedly completed 1897 by RM Drake. Altered 1924 by Benjamin Wakefield. Limestone ashlar, carboniferous limestone doorways, brick and limestone cross-axial stacks, roof not visible. Double-depth plan to a 2-sided wedge-shaped site. Eclectic Italian Renaissance Revival style. 3 storeys and attic; 8-window range. A heavily decorated front and similar rear elevation to Baldwin Street. Pedimented 5-window section set forward with a 3-window left-hand section, divided by square pilasters through a ground-floor fascia and cornice to a modillion cornice. Pilasters are banded on the ground floor to fluted necks and acanthus capitals, and paired fascia consoles; plain above to small segmental pediments over lion heads, fluted necks and carved head consoles beneath the cornice. A large ornate doorway has deep fluted consoles to a 3-centre arch, adorsal Assyrian sphinxes above flank a swan's neck pediment, and brackets each side to a fluted frieze and pediment formed from the cornice, with acroteria; small pedimented name panels on the jambs. C20 shop fronts each side; the left-hand section has distyle-in-antis pilasters decorated as the end ones. Upper floors articulated by attached Corinthian columns to the right and pilasters to the left, with fluted necks. First-floor windows have pilaster jambs and entablature lintels, console pilasters to pediments over the 3 above the doorway, and to the middle of the wing; second floor has pilaster jambs; C20 plate-glass windows. The frieze has small sunken roundels set in wreaths, and acroteria to the shallow pediment, with a low parapet behind and a central stack topped by a segmental pediment. The rear elevation is a 7-window range, with carboniferous limestone doorways at each end and plate-glass shop fronts. The doorways have banded, ovolo surrounds, consoles to shallow pediments and rectangular lights above; upper floors articulated as the Clare Street centre, the first floor has alternate narrow windows with pilaster jambs, and pedimented ones as Clare Street, with second-floor pilaster jambs and wreaths to the entablature, which is dated 1855, 1883 and 1925. Balustrade over windows. INTERIOR: refurbished 1992. (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 839).

Listing NGR: ST5864972902

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
379187
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Gomme, A H, Jenner, M, Little, B D G, Bristol, An Architectural History, (1979), 839

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/01415/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Frederick Rushby. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].