STRAND BUILDINGS AND ATTACHED FRONT GARDEN WALLS AND PIERS WOLSELEY HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1202161
Date first listed:
04-Mar-1977
Date of most recent amendment:
30-Dec-1994
Statutory Address:
STRAND BUILDINGS AND ATTACHED FRONT GARDEN WALLS AND PIERS, 156-170, CORONATION ROAD
Statutory Address:
WOLSELEY HOUSE, CORONATION ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of STRAND BUILDINGS AND ATTACHED FRONT GARDEN WALLS AND PIERS
WOLSELEY HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1202161 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 22:02:04.

Location

Statutory Address:
STRAND BUILDINGS AND ATTACHED FRONT GARDEN WALLS AND PIERS, 156-170, CORONATION ROAD
Statutory Address:
WOLSELEY HOUSE, CORONATION ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 57743 72046

Details

BRISTOL

ST5772 CORONATION ROAD, Southville 901-1/41/1824 (South side) 04/03/77 Nos.156-170 (Consecutive) Strand Buildings and attached front garden walls and piers (Formerly Listed as: CORONATION ROAD Nos.156-170 (Consecutive))

GV II

Includes: Wolseley House CORONATION ROAD. Terrace of 15 houses. 1822. Black render over brick with limestone dressings, brick party wall stacks and pantile valley roofs, mansards on Nos 166-170. Late Georgian style. Each of 3 storeys and basement; 1-window range. Attic storey on No.156, dormers on Nos 166-170. Pilaster strips to the party walls, first-floor plat and sill bands, deep cornice and parapet. Left-hand doorcases have open pediments on attached columns with pedestals and fanlights; No.170 is set back on the right with a 2-storey entrance block, and No.156 has a side entrance porch of rusticated ashlar and a Doric doorcase, and a late C19 brick 2-storey canted bay to the front. 7 stepped voussoirs with dropped keys to 8/8-pane sashes with fine bars. Nos 166 & 167 have first-floor balconies and French windows. INTERIOR: dogleg stairs from entrance halls, semicircular rear stair windows to the half-landings; flat, moulded cornices and ceiling roses in front and back ground-floor rooms, and fielded shutters. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: some attached front garden walls with Pennant saddleback copings and octagonal piers. The first terrace built after the opening of the New Cut, and illustrated on Ashmead's 1828 Map of Bristol. (Bristol As It Was: Bristol's Suburbs Long Ago: Bristol: 443).

Listing NGR: ST5774372046

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
379404
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Winstone, R, Bristols Suburbs Long Ago, (1985), 443

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 May 2007
Reference: IOE01/16565/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael Perry. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].