Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1202168.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Nov-2021 at 05:01:29.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
ST 57181 76259



ST5776 COTE LANE, Stoke Bishop 901-1/28/2129 (South side) 24/02/93 St Monica's Home of Rest


Almshouses. 1920-25. By Sir G Oatley, for HH Wills and Monica Wills. Squared, coursed Pennant rubble with limestone dressings, half-timbered gables and dormers, diagonally-set ashlar cross-axial and exterior stacks and tiled gabled and hipped roof with overhanging eaves. Cotswold Elizabethan Revival style. Axial plan of 2 linked triangular ranges around courtyards, with projecting NE wing, and a NW entrance block. 2 storeys and attic; 11:4:12:13:12:4:11-window range front elevation. The symmetrical principal elevation facing SW has central section with full-height canted outer and square central bays with crenellated parapets, separated by 3-window sections with fluted Ionic pilasters, first-floor semicircular-arched windows with balconies, and balustrade with heraldic animals, with a cornice carved with beasts' heads. Flanking wings have 2 projecting gables, with a further pair to their front ends with 2-storey canted bays, the attics close-studded with carved barge-boards, and jettied with arched brackets to the ends. The extreme ends terminate in crenellated canted bays as the middle section. Chamfered 1-, 2- and 3-light mullion and transom windows with metal leaded casements. The main entrance has flanking full-height canted bays, tall crenellated parapet with a heraldic panel, and a projecting open porch of 3 semicircular arches with attached Doric columns and an openwork parapet with the patron's initials, and contemporary revolving doors. INTERIOR: axial passage along the rear elevation semicircular-arched tunnel vault, rear open-well stairs in hipped-roofed towers, plain Tudor-arched stone fire surrounds, and a projecting rear theatre with a gallery, segmental-arched roof, deep side cornice on moulded brackets, wainscotting and enriched decorative plasterwork. HISTORICAL NOTE: named after Monica Wills, wife of HH Wills, and built at the same time as Wills Hall (qv) as the latest and largest of the City's almshouse foundations. Details of a design prepared between 1914-18 for a different site were included when the current preferred one became available in 1918. Of considerable landscape value at the northern end of the Downs, with extensive gardens enclosed by a ha-ha; very large, well detailed, but with rather mechanical variation of repeated forms, and the chapel and theatre apart a rather plain interior. Late C19 Domestic Revival and Perpendicular Revival style, using accurate historical details rather than abstracted forms as is more common in late Gothic Revival of the C20, but exceptionally well detailed and forming part of a visually impressive design. St Monica's Chapel and St Monica's Court described separately. (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 417).

Listing NGR: ST5718176259


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Gomme, A H, Jenner, M, Little, B D G, Bristol, An Architectural History, (1979), 417


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Jan 2005
Reference: IOE01/12870/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Ruth Povey. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].