NUMBER 5 AND ATTACHED FRONT BASEMENT RAILINGS AND PIERS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1202207

Date first listed: 08-Jan-1959

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Dec-1994

Statutory Address: NUMBER 5 AND ATTACHED FRONT BASEMENT RAILINGS AND PIERS, 5, DOWRY SQUARE

Map

Ordnance survey map of NUMBER 5 AND ATTACHED FRONT BASEMENT RAILINGS AND PIERS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1202207 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 08:46:06.

Location

Statutory Address: NUMBER 5 AND ATTACHED FRONT BASEMENT RAILINGS AND PIERS, 5, DOWRY SQUARE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: ST 56986 72650

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRISTOL

ST5672NE DOWRY SQUARE, Hotwells 901-1/13/1422 (West side) 08/01/59 No.5 and attached front basement railings and piers (Formerly Listed as: DOWRY SQUARE No.5)

GV II

Attached house. 1748. Probably by Thomas Paty. Brick with limestone dressings, brick gable and party wall stacks and a pantile double-pile roof. Double-depth plan. Mid Georgian style. 3 storeys, attic and basement; 3-window range. Planned as a symmetrical side to No.4 (qv), with rusticated pilaster strips to a moulded coping. Right-hand doorway has a plain ashlar surround and cornice, and mid C19 two-panel door with roundels and an integral rectangular overlight with margin panes. Cambered heads with 5 stepped voussoirs to 6/6-pane sashes; 2 hipped dormers. Rear elevation has 2 hipped dormers and semicircular-arched stair lights. INTERIOR not inspected. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached wrought-iron spear-headed railings and gates, and capped piers to entrance steps. A simpler design than No.4 (qv). Dowry Square was laid out by Tully in 1720, and building continued until 1750. Each side had a 5-window middle house and outer 3-window ones, of brick, now altered and mostly rendered, to various designs. (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 105; Ison W: The Georgian Buildings of Bristol: Bath: 1952-: 157).

Listing NGR: ST5698672650

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 379528

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Gomme, A H, Jenner, M, Little, B D G, Bristol, An Architectural History, (1979), 105
Ison, W, The Georgian Buildings of Bristol, (1952), 157

End of official listing