NUMBER 13 AND ATTACHED FRONT AREA RAILINGS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1202211
Date first listed:
08-Jan-1959
Date of most recent amendment:
30-Dec-1994
Statutory Address:
NUMBER 13 AND ATTACHED FRONT AREA RAILINGS, DOWRY SQUARE

Map

Ordnance survey map of NUMBER 13 AND ATTACHED FRONT AREA RAILINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1202211 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 01:57:03.

Location

Statutory Address:
NUMBER 13 AND ATTACHED FRONT AREA RAILINGS, DOWRY SQUARE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 57029 72625

Details

BRISTOL

ST5772NW DOWRY SQUARE, Hotwells 901-1/14/1430 (East side) 08/01/59 No.13 and attached front area railings (Formerly Listed as: DOWRY SQUARE No.13)

GV II

3 attached houses and dispensary, now one office. Dated 1823. Limestone ashlar, with pantile roof. Double-depth plan. 2 storeys and basement; 5-window range. A symmetrical front has end rusticated pilaster strips to a deep moulded cornice and parapet, with a raised central panel inscribed CLIFTON DISPENSARY/1823. A good raised Roman Doric porch has curved Pennant steps at each side, entablature and parapet, to a wide semicircular-arched doorway with reeded architrave, fanlight and margin lights, and 6-panel door; doorways at either end have pilaster jambs and moulded lintels, plate-glass overlights and 6-panel doors. Tripartite windows have pilaster jambs to moulded lintels, plain on the basement, with 6/6-pane sashes. INTERIOR: entrance hall to an axial passage, rear central stair flight with a quarter landing, stick balusters, column newels, ramped wreathed rail and curtail; right-hand stair removed. Reeded architraves with roundels, marble fire surrounds with roundels and good cast-iron fireplaces. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached wrought-iron front basement area and porch railings with urn finials. The first use of tripartite windows in Bristol, a characteristic feature of later villa and terrace designs in the city, and the work of '...an architect of experience and learning' (Gomme). (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 230).

Listing NGR: ST5702972625

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
379536
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Gomme, A H, Jenner, M, Little, B D G, Bristol, An Architectural History, (1979), 230

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/01465/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Joy Roddy. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].