CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1202294

Date first listed: 30-Dec-1994

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1202294 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 23:21:57.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: ST 53111 76904

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRISTOL

ST5376NW HIGH STREET, Shirehampton 901-1/18/1734 (South side) Church of St Mary

II

Church. 1929. By P Hartland Thomas. Reinforced concrete clad with Pennant rubble with limestone dressings and a pantile roof. Aisled nave and chancel with side chapels, and W porch. Modernist Gothic Revival style. The E end has a single-storey parapeted vestry with roll top coping beneath a gable with angle buttresses and 5-light 2-centred arched window, divided by a transom. 3-bay N chancel divided by buttresses with a 3-light mullion window with flat head to the E end, and a drip course below the parapet. The E end of the taller nave has a tall stepped gable bellcote with weathered coping, containing 2 flat-headed openings with bells and a central louvred panel, with a cross above. The gable carries down to form a weathered buttress to the end of the low parapeted, windowless aisle with a left-hand 2-centred arched doorway; the nave has flat-headed 5-light mullion and transom windows extending between the buttresses. Similar S elevation. The W end has low 3-light mullion windows to the aisles and sides of the gable, a deep porch with semicircular-arched doorway with deep splayed reveals divided by 3 inscribed arches, and a 2-leaf door; above is a 5-light 2-centred arched mullion and transom window. INTERIOR: plain, unmoulded divisions, with a 2-centre chancel arch, square piers to flat-headed aisle arches, with aisles divided by semicircular cross arches. Stripped Gothic fenestration incorporated into a Modernist shell: '..no other English architect has taken church design so far along a non-traditional path' (Gomme). (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 419; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and Bristol: London: 1958-: 472).

Listing NGR: ST5311176904

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 379773

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Gomme, A H, Jenner, M, Little, B D G, Bristol, An Architectural History, (1979), 419
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958), 472

End of official listing