UNITARIAN CHAPEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1202353
Date first listed:
08-Jan-1959
Statutory Address:
UNITARIAN CHAPEL, LEWIN'S MEAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of UNITARIAN CHAPEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1202353.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2019 at 14:25:48.

Location

Statutory Address:
UNITARIAN CHAPEL, LEWIN'S MEAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 58668 73294

Details

BRISTOL

ST5873SE LEWIN'S MEAD 901-1/11/128 (North side) 08/01/59 Unitarian Chapel

GV II*

Meeting-house, now offices. 1788-91. By William Blackburn. Converted to offices in 1987 by Fielden Clegg architects. Limestone ashlar, rendered rubble sides and hipped slate roof. Open plan. Neoclassical style. 3 storeys; 5-window range. The 3-window central pedimented block breaks forward of lower flanking blocks, with a rusticated ground-floor to a plat band, flat sill and impost bands; a semicircular portico of paired Ionic columns and respond pilasters, with a plain entablature, on curved Pennant steps, over a tall doorway and moulded architrave; either side is an almost-square window with incised voussoirs, with similar plain windows to the side blocks; above the portico is a tall 3-light window with 2 column mullions with acanthus capitals and responds to an entablature, and a large lunette above, with palmettes in the C19 glazing bars; either side are rectangular first-floor windows, and similar ones with moulded architraves in the side blocks, and blind windows flanking the lunette. Similar single tripartite windows to lunettes to each side and 3 to the rear. INTERIOR: galleried sides and front on cast-iron shafts, and a coffered ceiling, supported from the roof by chains, with large foliate paterae; a curved, panelled screen to the lobby; stone semicircular winder stairs both sides of the entrance. FITTINGS: central mahogany 3-decker pulpit to the N side with ramped steps up, a tester on console brackets, curved communion rail in front with turned balusters. Box pews either side of the entrance and the pulpit. Memorials include various C18 and C19 wall tablets. HISTORICAL NOTE: the chapel was built by the Unitarians as a meeting house to hold 400 people, with stables and coach-house, a lecture room added in 1818, and schoolrooms in 1826. It was converted to offices in 1987 by Fielden Clegg architects. (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 190; An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels...in Central England: Stell C: Gloucestershire: London: 1986-: 70).

Listing NGR: ST5866873294

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
379940
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting Houses in Central England, (1986), 70
Gomme, A H, Jenner, M, Little, B D G, Bristol, An Architectural History, (1979), 190

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/09995/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Ruth Povey. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].