MANOR PARK HOSPITAL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1202370
Date first listed:
04-Mar-1977
Date of most recent amendment:
30-Dec-1994
Statutory Address:
MANOR PARK HOSPITAL, MANOR ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of MANOR PARK HOSPITAL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1202370 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 01:50:20.

Location

Statutory Address:
MANOR PARK HOSPITAL, MANOR ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 62641 76155

Details

BRISTOL

ST6276 MANOR ROAD, Fishponds 901-1/30/1274 (North side) 04/03/77 Manor Park Hospital (Formerly Listed as: MANOR ROAD Entrance block of Manor Park Hospital)

GV II

Prisoner of war camp, work-house, now hospital. c1779. Work-house from 1837, extended 1865, and hospital since 1946. Pennant rubble with limestone ashlar porches, exterior stacks and interlocking tile hipped roof. Axial, E-shaped plan. 3 storeys; 5:9:3:9:5-window range. A symmetrical front has a 3-window central projecting block, and 5-window T-shaped end wings, with a central C19 porch with columns to a flat canopy; C20 porches to the other ranges except the left-hand one. Cambered rubble heads to late C20 windows. The side wings are articulated by pairs of exterior decapitated stacks. Large 1861-5 five-window extension to the left has semicircular ground-floor arches with chamfered surrounds, now glazed. INTERIOR: remodelled C20. HISTORICAL NOTE: constructed by the Admiralty as a prisoner of war camp, holding prisoners from the wars with the American colonies, and with France from 1793, an early and important example. The other is at Yaxley, Cambs. Converted by the Poor Law Commission, and a lunatic asylum from 1870. (Site Record, Trial Survey of Gardens, etc. ACCES: Harding S: SMR 2794: Bristol: 1987-).

Listing NGR: ST6264176155

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
379980
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Nov 2000
Reference: IOE01/03192/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Cyril N. Chapman. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].