THE WHITE HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1202391
Date first listed:
08-Jan-1959
Date of most recent amendment:
30-Dec-1994
Statutory Address:
THE WHITE HOUSE, 26, OAKFIELD ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE WHITE HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1202391.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2019 at 18:26:31.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE WHITE HOUSE, 26, OAKFIELD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
ST5755273656

Details

BRISTOL

ST5773NE OAKFIELD ROAD, Clifton 901-1/3/900 (South East side) 08/01/59 No.26 The White House (Formerly Listed as: OAKFIELD ROAD (South side) No.26 Central Electricity House)

GV II

Formerly known as: Oakfield House OAKFIELD ROAD Clifton. House, now offices. Dated 1850. By Charles Dyer. Stucco with limestone dressings, gable stacks, roof not visible. Double-depth plan. Neoclassical style. 2 storeys, basement and attic; 5-window range. A symmetrical front has an attic to the middle section, and 1-window outer blocks; a plain ground floor to a band, paired giant pilasters with foliate capitals to the centre, plain ones to the outside, a moulded first-floor sill band, frieze and cornice, and tall parapet with 3 sections of balustrade with slim column balusters over the windows. A large porch has columns to acanthus capitals and a dentil entablature, plate-glass overlight and C20 two-leaf doors; inscribed on the left side CHARLES DYER/1850. Windows have architraves and cornices, with consoles on the first floor, to 6/6-pane sashes. Small first-floor windows set between the pilasters have margin panes, and taller first-floor 4/4-pane sashes; 3/3-pane attic sashes. The side elevations have chimney breasts separated by a blind window, and stacks linked above the parapet by a semicircular arch, the right-hand one containing a section of balustrade. Rear elevation as the front, but with a central wide bow between the pilasters, with a tripartite window, a frieze of paterae and a balustrade above. INTERIOR: central hall with a left-hand stair well containing a good open-well winder stair, with stone treads and a smooth soffit, cast-iron balusters with anthemia, and a ramped rail supporting a late C19 lamp; to the left of the entrance is an enclosed service stair with a dogleg winder with stick balusters. First-floor fireplaces have paired pilasters and doors to the firebasket; cornices with palmettes, 4-panel doors and panelled shutters. Vaulted basement areas, and half-glazed doors to the front with margin bars. (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 266; Mowl T: To Build The Second City: Bristol: 1991-: 143).

Listing NGR: ST5755273656

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
380034
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Gomme, A H, Jenner, M, Little, B D G, Bristol, An Architectural History, (1979), 266
Mowl, T, To Build a Second City, (1991), 143

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Mar 2006
Reference: IOE01/15081/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Leaver . Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].