ST5873SW PARK ROW
901-1/10/164 (South side)
08/01/59 Red Lodge and attached rubble walls
and entrance steps
(Formerly Listed as:
The Red Lodge)
House, now museum. c1589. For Sir John Younge. Altered c1730,
restored early C20 by CFW Dening. Red rubble with limestone
dressings, ashlar lateral stacks and a pantile hipped roof.
C16 house remodelled in C18 as double-depth plan.
3 storeys and basement; 3-window range. A symmetrical garden
front has ashlar quoins, strings to each floor and timber
modillion quoins to overhanging eaves. Raised ground floor has
an arcade of 3 semicircular arches, formerly an open verandah,
now linked by an ovolo impost band, with ashlar aprons, each
with 2 mullions, a central half-glazed door and outer
12/9-pane sashes with thick ovolo-moulded glazing bars.
Moulded architraves to tall first-floor paired 12/12-pane
sashes, and smaller single second-floor windows with 4/4-pane
Shallow side projections, and rear with exposed timber-frames
to 12/12-pane sashes, and rubble quoins. Street entrance from
late C18 left-hand limestone ashlar single-storey porch, an
architrave to door with 4 flush panels.
INTERIOR: very fine late C16 joinery, plasterwork and
fireplaces, and early C18 joinery. Great Oak Room almost
completely original, fully panelled with fluted pilasters to a
dado and panels with semicircular arches to a cornice,
pedimented doorways and semicircular-arched doors, porch with
paired Ionic columns, heraldic panels and figures; fine
fireplace with paired fluted columns to a cornice, and paired
terms to the overmantel with strapwork panels; strapwork
plaster ceiling with pendents. Large early C18 rear open-well
stair with fluted column newels, triple barleysugar balusters,
wide surtail, and a moulded, ramped rail.
C18 reception rooms, formed by enclosing the garden verandah,
panelled with good fireplaces. Stone stair flight to street
entrance, with a good 16-panel door at the bottom. New Oak
Room has panelling and fireplaces from the Museum Reserve
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached rubble walls around rear knot
garden; brick-walled steps up from the garden, with Ionic
capitals, and an elliptical arch to the front. Built as a
Lodge to Younge's Great House, destroyed in 1863. Modernised
c1730, when the garden verandah was enclosed and mullion
windows replaced. A very fine interior containing some of the
most important panelling in the country.
(Levitt S: The Red Lodge, City of Bristol Museum and Art
Gallery: Bristol: 1986-; Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B:
Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 77-80; The
Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and Bristol:
London: 1958-: 439).
Listing NGR: ST5843973112