PICTON HOUSE AND FORECOURT RAILINGS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1202441
Date first listed:
30-Dec-1994
Statutory Address:
PICTON HOUSE AND FORECOURT RAILINGS, 25, PICTON STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of PICTON HOUSE AND FORECOURT RAILINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1202441 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2019 at 03:12:31.

Location

Statutory Address:
PICTON HOUSE AND FORECOURT RAILINGS, 25, PICTON STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 59222 74223

Details

BRISTOL

901-1/36/1589 PICTON STREET 08-NOV-09 MONTPELIER (South side) 25 PICTON HOUSE AND FORECOURT RAILINGS

II House, used as office in late-C20, of c.1830.

MATERIALS: Roughcast rendered Pennant stone rubble with limestone dressings, roof not visible.

PLAN: 2-storeyed L-shaped plan with single-depth main range to front and small range to rear left (north).

EXTERIOR: Symmetrical double front with pilasters to frieze, cornice and parapet. The central doorway has a pedimented doorcase and fanlight over the six-panel door. The windows are 8/8 hornless sashes in fluted architrave with a small key. Above the door is a similarly-framed panel, on two small brackets, inscribed PICTON HOUSE. Rear: A large rectangular window has been inserted at ground floor; above this to the first floor are two 8/8 hornless sashes; below it a segmental arched double doorway gives access to the basement. Stone steps lead up from the small courtyard to a doorway in the north elevation of No. 23 (not included in the listing). The small north range has a canted oriel window at first floor with wooden casement to ground. There is a doorway at ground floor on the inner elevation.

INTERIOR: On each floor there is one room either side of the central narrow single flight stair, with a further room within the north range. The staircase has a narrow handrail, which looks to have been re-used. Doorways at ground floor have reeded architraves with roundels.

SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: spear-headed railings to forecourt. No. 23 which adjoins Picton House to the right is not of special interest.

HISTORY: Picton House and No. 23 Picton Street stand back from the street, aligned to the west and thus at a slight angle to their neighbours. The adjacent rows of houses are shown on Ashmead and Plumley's Map of 1828 but Picton House and No.23 are not. Stylistically, the house looks to be of late Georgian date and its construction probably post-dates the map by only a few years. It was converted into flats in the post-war period and was used as an office in the late C20.

SOURCES Bristol City Council. Montpelier Conservation Area Appraisal. October 2008

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION: Picton House and forecourt railings are designated Grade II for the following principal reasons:

* This is a good example of a classical town house, showing characteristic Regency touches. * Despite some alteration to the interior, it retains its plan form and some features of interest, including good plasterwork and door surrounds.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
380177
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Mar 2006
Reference: IOE01/15455/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Graham Wathall. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].