PHOENIX HOUSE AND ATTACHED RAILINGS AND PIERS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1202472

Date first listed: 08-Jan-1959

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Dec-1994

Statutory Address: PHOENIX HOUSE AND ATTACHED RAILINGS AND PIERS, 51, QUEEN SQUARE

Map

Ordnance survey map of PHOENIX HOUSE AND ATTACHED RAILINGS AND PIERS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1202472 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 09:32:47.

Location

Statutory Address: PHOENIX HOUSE AND ATTACHED RAILINGS AND PIERS, 51, QUEEN SQUARE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: ST 58674 72537

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRISTOL

ST5872NE QUEEN SQUARE 901-1/16/209 (West side) 08/01/59 No.51 Phoenix House and attached railings and piers (Formerly Listed as: QUEEN SQUARE (West side) Nos.46-55 (Consecutive))

GV II

Attached house. c1833. Perhaps by Henry Rumley. Limestone ashlar, party wall stacks and pantile roof. Double-depth plan. Neoclassical style. 3 storeys, basement and attic; 3-window range. A symmetrical front has a banded ground floor, first-floor panelled pilasters with anthemion capitals to frieze, cornice and parapet. The centre breaks forward with a bowed open portico on Roman Doric columns to an entablature, chamfered door surround to a 6-panel door, and PHOENIX HOUSE inscribed on a panel above. Pedimented lintels with acroteria and wreaths to the middle first-floor window, to 6/6-pane sashes. A large carved Phoenix to the centre of the parapet. INTERIOR: central hall with an elliptical arch to a lateral open dogleg stair with turned balusters, wreathed and ramped rail with a star inlaid in the wreath; good marble fireplaces to ground and first-floor rooms, basement range fire surround; cornices with anthemia and guilloche; 6-panel doors and panelled shutters. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached front area railings with anthemia finials, and piers. Queen Square was built between 1701 and 1727. Much of the W side was rebuilt after the Reform Bill riot of 1831. (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 228; Ison W: The Georgian Buildings of Bristol: Bath: 1952-: 140).

Listing NGR: ST5867472537

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 380257

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Gomme, A H, Jenner, M, Little, B D G, Bristol, An Architectural History, (1979), 228
Ison, W, The Georgian Buildings of Bristol, (1952), 140

End of official listing