This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Victoria Rooms and attached railings and gates

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: Victoria Rooms and attached railings and gates

List entry Number: 1202480

Location

Victoria Rooms, Queen's Road, Bristol, BS8 1SA

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: City of Bristol

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 08-Jan-1959

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Dec-1994

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 380288

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Enhancement on 04/06/2018

ST5773SE 901-1/9/959 BRISTOL Clifton QUEEN'S ROAD (North east side) Victoria Rooms and attached railings and gates (Formerly Listed as: QUEENS ROAD (North side) Victoria Rooms)

08/01/59

GV II* Assembly and concert hall. 1839-41. By Charles Dyer. Carving by Jabez Tyler. Limestone ashlar, slate roof. Open plan. French Neoclassical style. Two storeys; six-window range. A fine and wide symmetrical front has a large octastyle Corinthian portico two bays deep, to a frieze, modillion cornice and pediment with a carving of 'Dawn' in the tympanum, and CHARLES DYER, ARCHITECT 1840 inscribed to the left. Flanking wings have paired Corinthian pilasters to a frieze and modillion cornice, with two blind windows with architraves and console cornices, linked by a full-width sill band. Recessed centre has a massive doorway with battered architrave with bronze medallions and a console cornice, plate-glass overlight and metal grille, to two-leaf C20 door, and smaller doorways each side. The returns have a five-window section with architraves and console cornices to windows with mid C20 glazing bars and a sill band, and plain basement windows, and a rear section with a raised hexastyle-in-antis attached Corinthian portico, frieze and cornice, and attic in three sections, the middle one raised and set back with patterned panels; blind windows between. The left return has a mid C20 porch with deep convex jambs, the right return has a large mid C20 single-storey extension. INTERIOR: extensively remodelled c1950; central full-height Octagon with a balcony of bowed cast-iron railings and Doric columns to the drum below a domed ceiling, the Regency Room has period plaster decoration and a rear gallery with decorative panels of musical instruments. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached cast-iron railings between alternate columns of portico have urn finials and diagonal bars, and wrought-iron gates to right-hand entrance with leaves and raised centre. Described by Pevsner as '...a first classic example of the turn from the neo-classical to the style which was at the same time adopted in Paris by the Ecole des Beaux Arts'. Burnt internally in the 1930s and reconstructed by GD Blake and EH Button. A key building in Bristol on a prominent intersection.

HISTORICAL NOTE: The Victoria Rooms played an important part in the local campaign for women’s suffrage. Bristol had a thriving branch of the Women’s Social and Political Union (WSPU), the militant suffrage organisation founded in Manchester by Emmeline Pankhurst in 1903. The Union used the Victoria Rooms for its regular ‘At Home’ meetings from 1908. The building also hosted large public meetings featuring national suffragette speakers including Emmeline Pankhurst, Christabel Pankhurst and Emmeline Pethick Lawrence. The WSPU’s use of militancy was controversial and its meetings were often targeted by groups of young men intent on disruption. In 1908 the Union employed professional boxers to keep medical students from interrupting Mrs Pankhurst’s speech at the Victoria Rooms.

This list entry was amended in 2018 as part of the centenary commemorations of the 1918 Representation of the People Act.

Listing NGR: ST5772473456

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Boyce, Lucienne, The Bristol Suffragettes , (2013)
Gomme, A H, Jenner, M, Little, B D G, Bristol, An Architectural History, (1979), 244
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)

National Grid Reference: ST 57724 73456

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1202480 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jun-2018 at 08:43:44.

End of official listing