COLSTONS ALMSHOUSES COLSTON'S ALMSHOUSES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1202546
Date first listed:
08-Jan-1959
Date of most recent amendment:
24-Oct-1996
Statutory Address:
COLSTONS ALMSHOUSES, ST MICHAELS HILL
Statutory Address:
COLSTON'S ALMSHOUSES, ST MICHAELS HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of COLSTONS ALMSHOUSES
COLSTON'S ALMSHOUSES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1202546 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2019 at 23:48:05.

Location

Statutory Address:
COLSTONS ALMSHOUSES, ST MICHAELS HILL
Statutory Address:
COLSTON'S ALMSHOUSES, ST MICHAELS HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 58509 73363

Details

ST 5873 SE BRISTOL ST MICHAEL'S HILL 901-1/11/281 Colstons Almshouses 08/01/59

GV I

Almshouse. Dated 1691, restored 1861 and 1988. Limestone ashlar with ridge stacks, and pantile hipped roof. U-shaped plan with wings to sides of a courtyard. 2 storeys; 8-window range middle with 10-window wings. A symmetrical group with a pedimented central chapel broken forward, drip moulds to both floors and a stone eaves cornice. Large central doorway has an eared architrave and 6-panel oak door, with a deep segmental canopy on foliate brackets, with a relief broken pediment with a pedestal Above is a moulded panel inscribed to EDWARD COLSTON with a broken pediment, oval keyed windows each side and a clock in the pediment tympanum. Doorways to the ends of the centre, and in the 3rd and 5th bays of the wings, with pitched canopies on brackets and 4-panel oak doors. Stone moulded cross windows with architraves to metal casements, with alternate pediments and segmental pediments along the string, and 2 segmental pediments to the end elevations. The rear elevation has projecting chapel with rose window and lower flanking windows with stained glass, and a good plank door to a flagged basement, with cross boarding to the inside. Stacks are diagonally-set with linked cornices. Central bell cupola with an ogee roof. Square section lead downpipes. INTERIOR: chapel, refurbished in late C17, has panelled timber pilasters flanking the entrance and in the corners of the E end, to a 3-bay barrel-vaulted timber roof, tall wainscotting rising behind the altar to a segmental pediment, with attached side benches and curved arm rests, and a single row of pews each side with desks. The houses have been extensively restored. Founded by the noted Bristol philanthropist merchant Edward Colston.

Listing NGR: ST5851873372

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
380472
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 May 2002
Reference: IOE01/07133/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Miss Janet Gibson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].