This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

1,3 AND 5, WHITELADIES ROAD

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: 1,3 AND 5, WHITELADIES ROAD

List entry Number: 1202689

Location

1,3 AND 5, WHITELADIES ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: City of Bristol

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 04-Mar-1977

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 380861

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRISTOL

ST5773SE WHITELADIES ROAD, Clifton 901-1/9/1109 (East side) 04/03/77 Nos.1, 3 AND 5

II

3 attached houses, now offices. 1858. By George Gay. Limestone ashlar, party wall stacks and a slate hipped roof. Double-depth plan. Italianate style. 2 storeys, attic and basement; 4-window range. A symmetrical front has projecting end houses, and entrances in the returns and left side of the middle. The ends have rusticated ground floors to a frieze and dentil cornice, paired first-floor pilasters on panelled plinths with rosettes to the capitals, frieze and bracketed cornice, attic storey with pilasters to pedimented parapet sections, and cornice. The end entrances have distyle-in-antis Doric porches with frieze and cornice, and C20 doors, and a plain doorway to No.3. Outer 3-light bows have banded pilaster jambs and balustrades, tripartite semicircular-arched first-floor windows with console cornices and panelled jambs, plain inner ground-floor windows, with architraves and consoles cornices to the first floor, and tripartite attic windows to the outside, with panelled jambs and pedimented 3-part parapets above, and swagged wreaths to the middle; 2/2-pane sashes. INTERIOR: entrances to central lateral open dogleg stairs with wrought-iron decorative balusters, modillion cornices and 6-panel doors. (Gomme A: Street Index of Buildings of Architectural or Historic Interest: 74).

Listing NGR: ST5783173472

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Gomme, A H, Jenner, M, Little, B D G, Bristol, An Architectural History, (1979), 74

National Grid Reference: ST 57831 73472

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1202689 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2018 at 06:11:34.

End of official listing