This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CLIFTON DOWN STATION STEAM TAVERN PUBLIC HOUSE AND ATTACHED SCREEN WALLS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CLIFTON DOWN STATION STEAM TAVERN PUBLIC HOUSE AND ATTACHED SCREEN WALLS

List entry Number: 1202700

Location

CLIFTON DOWN STATION, WHITELADIES ROAD
STEAM TAVERN PUBLIC HOUSE AND ATTACHED SCREEN WALLS, WHITELADIES ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: City of Bristol

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 30-Dec-1994

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 380884

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRISTOL

ST5774 WHITELADIES ROAD, Clifton 901-1/34/1131 (West side) Clifton Down Station, Steam Tavern Public House and attached screen walls

II

Railway station, now station and public house. Opened 1874, converted 1970s. Squared Pennant rubble with limestone dressings, lateral and ridge stacks and a tiled hipped roof. Single-depth plan. Tudor Gothic Revival style. 2 storeys; 3-window range, with single-storey side blocks either side. Central booking office has rock-faced quoins, impost band and sill band; corbel table below a weathered parapet; three 2-centre arches have splayed reveals and C20 glazing and door, and large second-floor cross windows with trefoil arches in flat heads. The roof has lead finials. End-gabled block each end have 5 single and paired flat-headed windows with glazing bars, the E block has a parapeted end section, the W block has a rounded corner beneath a moulded, corbelled corner. The rear elevation is articulated into rectangular recessed bays with corbel tables, with blocked openings to the backs of the station blocks. INTERIOR: converted to a public house. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: screen wall, articulated into bays as the station buildings, extends from the station to the Whiteladies Road bridge (not included). Built as the terminus of the Clifton Extension Railway, it became a through station with the opening of the Clifton Down tunnel in 1885. Formerly with good glazed canopies on cast-iron posts, which extended on both sides supported by the screen walls (qv). (Oakely M: Bristol Suburban: Temple Meads, Local Stations etc: Bristol: 1990-: 42).

Listing NGR: ST5762874134

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Oakley, M, 'Bristol Suburban' in Temple Meads Local Stations etc, (1990), 42

National Grid Reference: ST 57628 74134

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1202700 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2018 at 11:07:48.

End of official listing