26, HIGH STREET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1203030
Date first listed:
14-Mar-1994
Statutory Address:
26, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of 26, HIGH STREET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1203030 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2019 at 19:47:58.

Location

Statutory Address:
26, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
North Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Ilfracombe
National Grid Reference:
SS 51798 47634

Details

ILFRACOMBE

SS5147 HIGH STREET 853-1/6/64 (North side) No.26

GV II

Shop. Dated 1890. Partly painted, (probably over stone), partly exposed red brick; second storey is in wood and cast-iron. Right-side wall, (top is visible from street), of red brick. Roof not visible from street. Red brick chimney on right-side wall; multi-flued chimney on left side wall. EXTERIOR: striking vertically-articulated facade, probably on iron frame and characteristic of advanced commercial architecture of the period. 4 storeys. 5-window front. Late C20 shopfront in ground storey. Plain second storey display windows with transom lights, slightly set back behind a continuous iron arcade of round arches, these springing from columns with enriched capitals; the spandrels of the arches filled with open tracery. Wooden pilaster at either end with corbelled block at the top, flanking a blindcase. On the centre of the latter stands an ornate iron bracket intended to carry a sign. Close-set third and fourth storey windows flanked and separated by red brick pilasters, these being surmounted by corbelled, panelled blocks, upon which stand variously tall ball finials or low curved pediments. Between the blocks runs a moulded top cornice and parapet, the latter pierced by a serious of round-headed panels. Sash windows in third and fourth storeys, those in third storey plain but with transom lights of coloured leaded glass, those in fourth storey with 12-paned upper sashes. Middle window in third storey has large triangular pediment on brackets, spanning the brick piers at either side; in the centre of the pediment is the date 1890. INTERIOR: ground-floor completely altered. HISTORY: the Ilfracombe Observer and North Devon Review, 1.9.1891 and 15.12.1891, carries advertisements for J Pugsley & Sons, drapers, milliners, dress-makers, tailors, hatters, hosiers and house furnishers, who originally occupied the building; also an engraving of the original front with 2-storeyed display window. The building makes a good group with Nos 27-32 High Street (qv), which adjoin it on the west, mostly later C19 commercial architecture of a remarkably ambitious scale for a town of this size. Included for group value. (The Ilfracombe Observer and North Devon Review: 1.9.91; 15.12.91).

Listing NGR: SS5179847634

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
390203
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Ilfracombe Observer and North Devon Review' in 1 September, (1891)
'Ilfracombe Observer and North Devon Review' in 15 December, (1891)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Jul 2001
Reference: IOE01/04058/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Ann Allen. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].