34, HIGH STREET
Heritage Category: Listed Building
List Entry Number: 1203032
Date first listed: 26-May-1993
Statutory Address: 34, HIGH STREET
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1203032 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2019 at 23:42:08.
Statutory Address: 34, HIGH STREET
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: North Devon (District Authority)
National Grid Reference: SS 51766 47604
SS5147 HIGH STREET 853-1/6/70 (North side) 26/05/93 No.34
Formerly known as: No.34 Royal Clarence Hotel HIGH STREET. Shops and bar with living accommodation above, originally the Royal Clarence Hotel. Probably 1881 by WM Robbins of Ilfracombe. MATERIALS: rendered solid walls. Slated roof with crested ridge tiles. Red brick chimney, with pilaster strips, on right-hand side wall. EXTERIOR: 4 storeys. 5 windows wide. Eclectic style with classical articulation and rustication, and Romanesque/Gothic details. Rusticated ground storey with round-arched openings, the door and window details altered in C20. Second and third storeys have segmental-headed windows at each end in the centre, these alternating with canted wooden bay windows. The latter are relatively plain, but the others are ornate. Those in the second storey have prominent bracketed balconies with scrolled and finialed cast-iron railings carrying the inscription ROYAL CLARENCE HOTEL. The openings behind have moulded arches and hood moulds, and contain the original glazed doors in glazed surrounds. The third storey windows each have 2 segmental headed lights with centre column, a single segmental hood mould covering both lights; bracketed sills with elaborate iron guard rails. Fourth storey has small round windows in the middle and outer bays, each with bracketed sill and hood mould; the outer 2 have patterned glazing, while the middle one is blind and carries the monogram RL (probably the initials of the proprietor, Richard Lake). The intervening windows are tall with blind, pointed heads decorated with a fan-pattern and are surmounted by small gables which rise into the parapet above. The parapet is corbelled and has round-arched panels with heavily moulded base and coping. At either end and flanking the 2 tall fourth storey windows are tall panelled pedestals with poyramidical tops having ball finials. All windows except the round ones have plain sashes. Long roughcast side wall to Regent Place has 5 second storey windows with transom lights containing patterned glazing and coloured glass. INTERIOR not inspected. HISTORY: the hotel was described as 'recently rebuilt' in 1886, but the initials RL on the front suggest an earlier date, since Richard Lake has been replaced by Charles E Clemow as proprietor in 1883. On 3.1.1881 the Local Board of Health had approved alterations and additions to the Royal Clarence for Richard Lake with drawings by W M Robbins. The drawings do not show a new front, but possibly it would not have required planning consent. The Clarence was described as one of the 3 principal Ilfracombe inns in Banfield's Guide to Ilfracombe of 1830, and was apparently the only one of importance in the main street. The name seems to relate to the visit of the Duchess of Clarence (wife of the future William IV) in 1827, although apparently she did not stay at the hotel. (Pevsner N: North Devon; Kelly's Directory of Devonshire: 1883-: 24; North Devon D.C Planning Department: Ilfracombe Local Board of Health Planning Register: 4: PLAN FILE NO.16; Lamplugh L: Ilfracombe 1984: 52).
Listing NGR: SS5176647604
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 390209
Legacy System: LBS
Books and journals
Lamplugh, L, Ilfracombe, (1984), 52
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Devon North, (1952)
'Kellys Directory' in Devonshire, (1883), 24
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing