CHURCH OF ST PETER INCLUDING GATE PIERS,GATES AND RETAINING WALL AT EAST AND WEST ENDS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1203036

Date first listed: 12-Mar-1990

Date of most recent amendment: 14-Mar-1994

Statutory Address: Church of St Peter, Highfield Road

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER INCLUDING GATE PIERS,GATES AND RETAINING WALL AT EAST AND WEST ENDS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1203036 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 04:25:55.

Location

Statutory Address: Church of St Peter, Highfield Road

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: North Devon (District Authority)

Parish: Ilfracombe

National Grid Reference: SS 52005 47412

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ILFRACOMBE

SS5147 HIGHFIELD ROAD 853-1/6/85 (South side) 12/03/90 Church of St Peter including gate piers, gates & retaining wall at E & W ends (Formerly Listed as: HIGHFIELD ROAD (South side) Church of St Peter)

II

Anglican parish church. 1902 by GH Fellowes-Prynne. Rough-faced, squared stone rubble with details and quoins in dressed limestone (probably Bath stone). Red tiled roof with some decorative ridge tiles. Plan consists of nave, aisles, chancel and south chancel chapel, with very shallow north and south transepts; tower and entrance-porch at west end of north aisle. A north chancel chapel appears to have been demolished. Built in a wide range of medieval styles, from Norman to Perpendicular. Main features of north front (facing Highfield Road) are a pair of gables to the transept, each with a 3-light traceried window. Also a 2-stage square tower (never completed) with big angle-buttresses; doorway with carved wooden canopy supported by stone angles, figure of St Peter in niche above. 5-light traceried east and west windows. Foundation stone under west window carved with date and architect's name. INTERIOR has nave arcades with Norman columns having twisted fluting on the shafts, these supporting pointed, double-chamfered arches. Low, carved stone chancel screen. Organ with Gothic casing. Good carved choir stalls, pulpit (1903 by Florence Heaton Toller) and font (lime-stone with red and green marble columns). SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: at each end of the front curtilage-wall is a pair of square, stone rubble gate piers with lumps of quartz on top. Western piers have iron gates with scrollwork and keys of St Peter. Eastern piers have wooden gateposts with gabled tops and crosses in round panels. At the east and west ends of the curtilage, continuing north on to the Highfield Road frontage, are retaining walls of slatestone laid in tiers, herringbone fashion.

Listing NGR: SS5200547412

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 390225

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing