NORTHCOTE BUILDINGS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1203059

Date first listed: 14-Mar-1994

Statutory Address: NORTHCOTE BUILDINGS, 7-10, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of NORTHCOTE BUILDINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1203059 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 05:13:02.

Location

Statutory Address: NORTHCOTE BUILDINGS, 7-10, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: North Devon (District Authority)

Parish: Ilfracombe

National Grid Reference: SS 51550 47358

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ILFRACOMBE

SS5147 CHURCH STREET 853-1/6/32 (North side) Nos.7-10 (Consecutive) Northcote Buildings

II

Terrace of 4 houses and shops. Dated 1880; architect WM Robbins of Ilfracombe. High Victorian style. MATERIALS: red brick with dressings of yellow, black and white brick; some details in stone and terracotta. The stone lintels at No.8 and the second storey brick arches and bands at No.10 have been painted. Slated roofs, asbestos at No.7, tarred at Nos 8-10; crested ridge tiles (some missing at No.9). Red brick chimneys on left side walls, that at No 8 rebuilt. All have sets of good chimney pots, louvred at No.7, spiked at Nos 8-10. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys with garrets. Uniform 3-window fronts in Gothic style. Ground storeys have much altered shopfronts, except for Nos 7 & 8. That at No.7 is divided into 3 bays by thick brick piers (now painted) with chamfered corners. The wide middle bay contains a 2-pane display window, the thick, moulded glazing bars forming 4-centred arches at the top; the spandrels are filled with small square panes. Below it is a decorated terracotta panel (now painted) incorporating the date 1880. Left-hand-bay contains glazed double doors, each with a solid panel at the bottom. Right-hand-bay has 6-panelled house door, the panels shaped and the bottom 2 with diagonal planking. Entablature with moulded cornice across whole front. No.8 retains the original red brick piers with panels of white brick; also a display window (without small panes in the spandrels) and shop door like those at No.7. Upper storeys have Venetian window in centre, the middle light pointed, the outer ones with flat stone lintels shaped on the underside. The whole window is surmounted by a great, pointed relieving arch of black or red brick (it is not clear if the black is simply paint, or whether, if so, it is original). Flanking the window are 2 doorways with segmental arches; those at Nos 7-9 retain their original decorated iron guard rails. Above each doorway is a small window with a segmental arch. The wall face is decorated with bands of yellow and white brick and has terracotta and shaped white brick panels. Bracketed eaves cornice, broken in the middle by a triangular dormer gable with carved bargeboards and (except at No.10) terracotta finials. Nos 7 & 10 have plain sash windows in the second storey and 3-light mullioned and transomed wood windows in the dormer gable; small windows have plain wooden casements. Both houses have original glazed doors in second storey, each with a solid lower panel. At Nos 8 & 9 all but the 2 small windows have been altered in late C20; original door (with 2 panels at the bottom) survives to right of second storey at No.8. No.10 carries a stone plaque to right of Venetian window, inscribed NORTHCOTE BUILDINGS 1880. INTERIORS not inspected. HISTORY: terrace said to have been named after Sir Stafford Northcote (1818-87), Conservative M.P. for North Devon and late Earl of Iddesleigh. On 5th April 1880 he was re-elected unopposed for the second time. The original terrace included Nos 6 & 11, now much altered and not included. (Ilfracombe Chronicle 18.6.1937: Hussell AT: 2; Hoskins WG: Devon 1954: D.N.B.: 414).

Listing NGR: SS5155047358

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 390174

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Ilfracombe Chronicle' in 18 June, (1937)
Hoskins, W G, 'A New Survey of England' in Devon, (1954), 414

End of official listing