OLD HIGHER LIGHTHOUSE WITH BOUNDARY WALLS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1203104
Date first listed:
21-Sep-1978
Date of most recent amendment:
17-May-1993
Statutory Address:
OLD HIGHER LIGHTHOUSE WITH BOUNDARY WALLS, PORTLAND BILL ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of OLD HIGHER LIGHTHOUSE WITH BOUNDARY WALLS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1203104 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Jul-2019 at 16:29:38.

Location

Statutory Address:
OLD HIGHER LIGHTHOUSE WITH BOUNDARY WALLS, PORTLAND BILL ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Dorset
District:
Weymouth and Portland (District Authority)
Parish:
Portland
National Grid Reference:
SY 67740 69268

Details

PORTLAND

SY67NE PORTLAND BILL ROAD, Portland Bill 969-1/1/163 (North West side) 21/09/78 Old Higher Lighthouse with boundary walls (Formerly Listed as: PORTLAND BILL ROAD OLD HIGHER LIGHTHOUSE(BRANSCOMBE LODGE)STABLE BUILDINGS TO W & ENCLOSURE WALL)

II

Former lighthouse, now dwelling. 1869. Rendered and painted, slate roofs. A low circular tower linked by short corridors to east and south to identical domestic blocks, formerly coastguard accommodation. The whole set on simple plinth; tower has cylindrical shaft to heavy moulded cornice carrying lofty late C20 wood and glass lantern set to a balcony with 15-bay cast-iron balustrade to heavy moulded posts and three plain rails; various openings, 2-light casements set in deep reveals to cambered raised lintels and plain cills. The Trinity House badge set in on north-west face at first-floor level. Short pitched-roof passages connect to dwelling units in one storey with 12-pane sashes throughout to heavy stooled cills. Hipped roofs to central valley, on box eaves; large paired stacks to each ridge (four stacks in all) to bases and stepped conjoined cappings. These, and the dwelling blocks all with stopped chamfer corners, and each unit has a swept-down addition containing door; porch and C20 door to north-south passage. Interior of tower retains the heavy rivetted ring beam with radials at first and second-floor levels, also stone stair with iron balustrade following curve, ground to first floor, and a tighter spiral in slate treads to the lantern. Much of the joinery and other fitting within appears to be original or carefully restored. Subsidiary Features: all enclosed in rubble stone wall to half-round oversailing coping; pair of square piers to pyramidal cappings on SW corner opposite former paraffin store, transformed in the C20 into studio dwelling. The stable building referred to in the previous list demolished 1990. The first lighthouse on the site dated from 1716, replaced by current structure in 1869, and taken out of service in 1905 with the opening of the new Lighthouse (qv); at that time it was sold for »405 (in 1907). Occupied as a holiday home for about 30 years by Dr. Marie Stopes (see Portland Museum, Wakeham), the building became derelict, but has been rescued and fully restored in the 1980's. Thomas Hardy is reputed to have been a visitor in the early C20. (Royal Commission on Historical Monuments: Dorset: London: 1970-: 253).

Listing NGR: SY6774069268

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
381999
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1970), 253

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Aug 2001
Reference: IOE01/05395/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Reg Perry. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].