GEORGE INN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1203113

Date first listed: 16-Jan-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 17-May-1993

Statutory Address: GEORGE INN, 133, REFORNE

Map

Ordnance survey map of GEORGE INN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1203113 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 09-Dec-2018 at 21:44:35.

Location

Statutory Address: GEORGE INN, 133, REFORNE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: Weymouth and Portland (District Authority)

Parish: Portland

National Grid Reference: SY 68766 71982

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PORTLAND

SY6871 REFORNE, Easton 969-1/4/55 (South side) 16/01/51 No.133 George Inn (Formerly Listed as: REFORNE Nos.129,131 & 133 (The George Inn))

II

Inn, formerly three houses. Dated 1765 above main door, said to have been built for William Butts, the parish clerk; altered in C19. Large squared stone or rubble, slate roofs. A series of linked units: from left, a one-storey store with corrugated asbestos roof over rubble walls containing pair of plank garage doors; slightly stepped up a further store in large squared stone block with slate roof, but single course of stone slate at eaves, coped verge to left. A plank door, left, and 2-light casement, right. Then a two-storey lofty section containing the former Court Leet meeting room in coursed rubble with flush quoins and lintols, slate roof; two large 12-pane sashes above a single 12-pane, and to the right a pair of C20 glazed doors under a rectilinear transom light. The back of this part has a small and a larger 12-pane sash above a 4-panel door. Brick stack to left gable. The main building in large dressed squared stone block with slate roof; low two storeys with attic, projecting near-central porch and deep back wing; 3 windows width, to the left a small 2-light casement with glazing bars, then two large 12-pane mid C19 sashes above a small 2-light casement and a 3-light chamfered stone-mullioned small-pane casement and a 20-pane wide sash in a flush plat band. To the left a plank door, and near centre a gabled stone porch with side lights covering a ledged and framed C18 door on early strap hinges: above this a cambered lintel and a stone inscribed "B W*G" over "1765" in a patterned border. Left of centre a stone ridge stack with blocking course above capping, and to right a late C19 brick stack. Back has a deep gabled wing which includes a small single stair light, and a brick stack. The mullioned window led the RCHM to suggest that the building has C17 origins. (Royal Commission on Historical Monuments: Dorset: London: 1970-: 256).

Listing NGR: SY6876671982

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 382016

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1970), 256

End of official listing