CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, REFORNE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1203132
Date first listed:
16-Jan-1951
Date of most recent amendment:
17-May-1993
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, REFORNE, WESTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, REFORNE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1203132 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2019 at 22:59:44.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, REFORNE, WESTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Dorset
District:
Weymouth and Portland (District Authority)
Parish:
Portland
National Grid Reference:
SY 68653 72012

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 17/09/2014

SY67SE 969-1/1/83

PORTLAND, Easton WESTON ROAD (West side), Church of St George, Reforne

(Formerly Listed as: REFORNE, Church of St George)

16/01/51

GV I

Former Anglican parish church, now in care of The Churches Conservation Trust. Begun 1754, consecrated 1766; to designs of Thomas Gilbert, master stone-mason. North porch added early C19. Portland ashlar, lead roofs, except sanctuary, slate. A complete C18 church and interior, with some references to Wren, especially the west tower and steeple, and central low cupola wider than nave. Cruciform symmetrical unaisled plan with sanctuary apse and west tower; the crossing dome expressed externally with a low capping rising above normal ridge level. Identical north and south facades in two storeys with arched windows above segmental-headed lights, all small-pane casements in plain raised plat-bands; 2:3:2 lights. Broad transept arm has full-width pediment with lunette, and transept returns have oculus over blind segmental-headed light. Central arched doorway with fanlight. To right and left a brought-forward blocking with semi-domed niche over raised apron panel; window and panel repeated on west face of blockings flanking the tower which is in 3 square stages and a fourth octagonal stage with 'pepper-pot' cupola. West front has window set in former door opening beneath oculus, with oculus and blind light on returns, then blind arched light to each face of low intermediate stage below aedicular fronts with Doric columns carrying entablature with urns at base of octagonal stage. Apse has central light with stained glass over a RCF dedicatory panel, with oculus above blank panel to south and original panelled door to north. Square north porch has C20 flush doors to north, and blind recessed openings E and W. Continuous plinth and moulded eaves string course, also carried round tower. Interior has been carefully restored, with plain plastered barrel vaults and central saucer dome on plastered walls and stone flag floors to aisles. Paired pilasters at crossing and to chancel entrance, with entablature blocks, plain cornice band throughout. Galleries on three sides with narrow panel fronts on paired cast-iron columns; spiral stairs in niches to E of transepts with balancing niches to W, and tight stone spiral at tower base to W gallery. Numbered painted box pews throughout, facing into crossing, special pews flanking chancel; pulpit and reading desk flank E side of crossing, octagonal wooden units on stems, with spiral stairs to stick balustrades and wreathed handrails. Oak communion rail with turned balusters and moulded rail, painted reredos with Pater Noster and Credo under stained glass of 1878, flanked by panels in responds and arches with Decalogue. Circular bowl font with gadroons, wooden cover at W end, and small pipe organ in W gallery. Various monuments include one in sanctuary inscribed: 'Underneath lyes interr'd the body of THOMAS GILBERT of this island, Gentleman, Architect and master builder of this ch. departed this life the 25th of July Anno Domini 1776 aged 70 yrs'; also to John Penn, of Pennsylvania Castle (qv) died 1834. A full list appears in RCHM volume. The church, replacing the decayed St. Andrew's (qv), was itself displaced in 1917 by the completion of All Saints, Easton (qv), and for long was ill cared for and in poor condition. It was rescued in 1979 by the Friends of St. Georges, has been carefully and fully restored, and is now Vested in The Churches Conservation Trust. (Royal Commission on Historical Monuments: Dorset: London: 1970-: 247-8; Buildings of England: Pevsner N and Newman J: Dorset: London: 1972-1989: 341-2).

Listing NGR: SY6865372012

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
382074
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1970), 247-8
Pevsner, N, Newman, J, The Buildings of England: Dorset, (1972), 341-2

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Jul 2001
Reference: IOE01/04605/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Reg Perry. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].