This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

VIADUCT INCLUDING ADJACENT PIERS TO EARLIER VIADUCT

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: VIADUCT INCLUDING ADJACENT PIERS TO EARLIER VIADUCT

List entry Number: 1203142

Location

VIADUCT INCLUDING ADJACENT PIERS TO EARLIER VIADUCT

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Dobwalls and Trewidland

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Liskeard

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 22-Jul-1981

Date of most recent amendment: 15-Nov-1993

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 382102

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LISKEARD

SX26SW

979-1/3/200

MOORSWATER

Viaduct including adjacent piers to earlier viaduct

(Formerly Listed as: MOORSWATER Moorswater Viaduct)

(Formerly Listed as: MOORSWATER Piers of original Viaduct)

22/07/81

II*

Railway viaduct and remains of piers of earlier viaduct. Earlier piers 1859 by IK Brunel. Replacement viaduct 1881. Engineer PJ Margary. Resident engineer HG Cole was killed during the rebuilding by a crane overturning and was succeeded by TH Gibbons.

Seven tapering piers of snecked rock-faced slatestone with eight semi-circular arches with granite long and short voussoirs. Moulded corbel course with moulded stone brackets supporting an iron parapet railing of uprights, lattice braces and ornamental adjustment rings. Contemporary refuges corbelled out on paired stone brackets. 290 metres in length and 49 metres high. Remains of earlier piers to south similar to those used in St Pinnock viaduct (Liskeard Rural CP). Roughly-dressed, coursed slatestone with stepped buttresses with weatherings rising to form five stages. Pointed openings piercing the four upper stages. Arches to lowest stages with keystones.

One in series of viaducts in quick succession on Brunel's Plymouth to Truro GWR line opened in 1859.

The asset was previously listed twice also at List entry 1328101. The duplicate entry was removed from the List on 10 July 2017.

This entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 10 July 2017.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pugsley, A, The Works of Isambard Kingdom Brunel, (1980)
Todd, , Laws, , Industrial Archaeology of Cornwall, (1972)
Woodfin, R J , The Cornwall Railway, (1972)

National Grid Reference: SX2370663971

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1203142 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2018 at 11:00:02.

End of official listing