CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1203258

Date first listed: 07-Feb-1968

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1203258 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2018 at 13:36:37.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: East Riding of Yorkshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Elloughton-cum-Brough

National Grid Reference: SE 94433 28243

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ELLOUGHTON CHURCH LANE SE 92 NW (north side) 5/17 Church of Saint Mary 7.2.68 GV II* Church. C15 west tower, remainder rebuilt in Early English style, reusing some old materials, by J L Pearson 1844-6. Ashlar to tower, coursed oolitic limestone rubble with freestone dressings and slate roofs. 2-stage west tower, 2 bay nave with south porch and single-bay transepts, 3-bay chancel. West tower: plinth, diagonal buttresses with offsets. Slit windows to first stage. Chamfered first-floor band; 2-light pointed belfry openings with Y tracery; eaves string course, crenellated parapet with crocketed corner finials. West window: pointed, of 2 lights, with Perpendicular tracery. South porch: pointed door of 2 orders with nook-shafts under hoodmould with stylised mask stops; raised coped gable. South door: rebuilt early C13. Pointed door of 3 moulded orders, the outer two on nook-shafts, the inner order on an attached keel-rolled shaft. Nail head to imposts. Dogtooth between the nook-shafts. Hoodmould. Transepts: buttresses with offsets and moulded sill band. Paired lancets under a continuous hoodmould, pierced quatrefoil over, raised coped gables with cross finials. Chancel: chamfered plinth, buttresses with offsets. Sill band. Central, pointed, priests' door flanked by triple lancets under continuous hoodmould. East elevation: 3 stepped lancets under continuous hoodmould, raised coped gable with cross finial. The east wall incorporates an C18 tombstone with inscription to John Robinson (date illegible). Interior: plain. Remodelled after a fire in 1964. Segmental rear-arch with attached keeled roll to south door. Interesting brass memorial (1928), to US Navy Officers who died in R38 airship crash, on north wall of nave. Stone pulpit reached via door from the vestry.

Listing NGR: SE9443328243

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 164773

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing