CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1203352
Date first listed:
18-Jan-1968
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1203352 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 03:00:04.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Northamptonshire
District:
Daventry (District Authority)
Parish:
Long Buckby
National Grid Reference:
SP 62724 67744

Details

LONG BUCKBY CHURCH STREET (North side) SP66NW Church of St. Lawrence 6/204 18/01/68 GV II*

Church. Medieval. Restored 1862 by G.G. Scott and 1883-7 by W. Bassett-Smith when aisles of 1774 were gothicised. Coursed ironstone rubble and ashlar. Chancel, nave, aisles extending over first bay of chancel, north and south, south porch, west tower. Chancel has 3-light Decorated windows to east end and north and south sides with C19 tracery. Blocked round-headed door at east end of south aisle. Nave has clerestory with C19 circular windows. Stone dated 1774 below second window from west end of north aisle. C18 lead rainwater heads and pipes. C19 south porch. Leaded roofs behind plain parapets. 3-stage battlemented west tower has shallow offset buttresses separated by shafts. Pointed arch top frieze, corner gargoyles. Small lancet window to south side of middle stage; lancet window to west end of ground floor above blocked doorway. Interior: chancel has piscina with cusped arch and 3 seat sedilia with C19 cusped heads. Double hollow-chamfered arches on north side of west bay of chancel, the inner arch resting on corbels with fleurons, formerly framing tomb, of which cut-off end survives on east side. Blocked window above. Double chamfered arch in corresponding bay on south side, the inner arch resting on polygonal responds, blocked square window above. Double-chamfered chancel arch, inner arch resting on polygonal responds. Nave arcades of four bays with double-chamfered arches on octagonal piers. East window by Evans Bros. of Shrewsbury commemorating Shropshire vicar d.1858. Parish chest. Monument to Cilena l'Anson Bradley, d.1726 aged 12 years: bust in square niche with draped round arch head supported on pilasters, draped apron with inscription and fringed edge, signed John Hunt, Northampton on base of bust - in north choir vestry. Other late C18 and early C19 wall monuments. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.296; Whellans' Directory of Northamptonshire, 1874; Kelly's Directory of Northamptonshire, 1890).

Listing NGR: SP6272467744

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
361096
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Directory of Northamptonshire, (1874)
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973)
'Kellys Directory' in Northamptonshire, (1890)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/04927/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr John Airlie Hunter. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].