FORMER WEEDON BARRACKS, STOREHOUSE NUMBER 7

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1203504
Date first listed:
29-Apr-1987
Statutory Address:
FORMER WEEDON BARRACKS, STOREHOUSE NUMBER 7, BRIDGE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of FORMER WEEDON BARRACKS, STOREHOUSE NUMBER 7
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1203504 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Aug-2019 at 10:30:02.

Location

Statutory Address:
FORMER WEEDON BARRACKS, STOREHOUSE NUMBER 7, BRIDGE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Northamptonshire
District:
Daventry (District Authority)
Parish:
Weedon Bec
National Grid Reference:
SP 62608 59586

Details

WEEDEN BEC

1732/16/181 BRIDGE STREET 29-APR-87 LOWER WEEDON (West side) FORMER WEEDON BARRACKS, STOREHOUSE NUM BER 7

GV II* Warehouse. 1804-10, and one of an odd-numbered group to the north of the canal. Converted into military prison in 1844/5, when wing to west end added, and with later additions. Flemish bond red brick with gauged brick dressings to arches, hipped corrugated asbestos roof replacing M-shaped Welsh roof. Rectangular plan with central vestibule with stairs opening into flanking storerooms. 2 storeys, 11-window range to south elevation facing canal. Central doors with 12-panel double-leaf doors flanked by stone pilasters supporting Doric entablature with cambered arches over tripartite sash windows above. Similar wider blocked doorways either end, with similar windows above. Semi-circular arched ground-floor windows, set in semi-circular arched recesses. Refenestrated in 1930s with small-paned cast-iron casements with centre-hung lights. Centre and ends project slightly. Plinth and first-floor string course. Rear refenestrated in 1930s with small-paned cast-iron casements with centre-hung lights. Single-storey addition to west of the mid/late 1840s, originally with two parallel ranges gabled north-south; south elevation has parapet concealing gables and gauged brick arches over horned sash windows, with some late C19 and early C20 extension. Single-storey range to east added 1899-1911 as a Painters' Shop, presenting a south-facing gable end with round windows over two tall semi-circular arched windows; Welsh slate roof with cowled vents. Interior: reroofed (with steel trusses) and refloored (in ferroconcrete) in 1930s.

Part of a unique planned military-industrial complex, complete with its own defensible transport system and surrounding walls. For full details see description of Storehouse No 2.



Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
360827
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].