CANON'S MARSH GOODS SHED

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1203510
Date first listed:
05-Aug-1992
Statutory Address:
CANON'S MARSH GOODS SHED, ANCHOR ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CANON'S MARSH GOODS SHED
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1203510 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2019 at 03:17:38.

Location

Statutory Address:
CANON'S MARSH GOODS SHED, ANCHOR ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 58369 72553

Details

BRISTOL

ST5872NW ANCHOR ROAD, Canon's Marsh 901-1/15/495 (South side) 05/08/92 Canon's Marsh Goods Shed

GV II

Railway goods shed. 1906. Architectural assistant PE Culverhouse. Engineer W Armstrong. For the Great Western Railway. Reinforced concrete on the Hennebique system, built by Robinson of Bristol for the Great Western Railway, a pioneer in the early use of this system; partially clad in render and blue engineering bricks, roof not visible. Open plan. 2 storeys, 10 bays long and 4 wide. Ground-floor station open to the S side, with warehouse above. S elevation has square stanchions to a cornice, beneath pilasters to a second-floor cornice, with blind panels alternating with metal-framed windows with glazing bars. The N side has a ground floor of black brick piers to segmental arches with 6-light mullion and transom windows. At the E end the attached 2-storey, 3-window range office block has a blue brick plinth, plat band and cornice, brick segmental-arched head dressings to a central doorway, blind windows to the right, and 5-window side elevations. INTERIOR: stanchions support 2 wide, parabolic arches spanning the centre bays, with half arches to side aisles. HISTORICAL NOTE: built by the GWR to terminate the line into the docks from the west, and has a significant place in the development of Canon's Marsh, for much of the C19 an industrial backwater. It occupies a very early and significant place in the introduction of reinforced concrete systems into Britain. The drawings (dated variously 1904) are marked from the office of LG Mouchel and quote the Hennebique patent for ferro-concrete construction. W Armstrong was the engineer responsible for new works on the Great Western Railway, which played a pioneering role in the introduction of this method of construction. (Great Western Magazine: 1906-).

Listing NGR: ST5838072551

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
378839
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Great Western Magazine' in Great Western Magazine, (1906)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Jul 2004
Reference: IOE01/12531/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Ruth Povey. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].