Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1203518.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Dec-2021 at 13:35:59.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
ST 57476 74512



ST5774 APSLEY ROAD, Clifton 901-1/34/689 (South side) 04/03/77 St John's Place (Formerly Listed as: APSLEY ROAD Church of St John with St Anselm)


Church, now offices. 1841. By John Hicks. Chancel 1864 by SB Gabriel. Squared Brandon Hill Grit rubble with limestone dressings, limestone ashlar towers and pantile roof. Cruciform plan with twin W towers. Perpendicular Gothic Revival style. Shallow, crenellated E gable has diagonal buttresses and a 6-light window with panel tracery and lamb stops, and flowers carved in the drip. N chancel window has 2 lights in a 4-centred arch; the gabled N transept has an arched doorway with Tudor flowers to the mouldings, diagonally set buttress pinnacles either side with angel capitals and a crocketed ogee hood, and a 4-light window above; the transept W window and those in the 4-bay nave are narrow with 3 lights and a transom in 4-centred arches; the W bay forms the base of the tower. Similar S elevation has a late C19 vestry against the chancel, with 1- and 3-light flat-headed windows. The W front is flanked by 2-stage towers with diagonal buttresses, arched W doorways with casement mouldings and head stops, and 2-light windows to the side elevations; second-stage paired lancets have linked, stilted hoods, and dragon corbels between them to diagonal buttress pinnacles which rise through a plain parapet, with crocketed corner pinnacles; 2-stage openwork turrets have narrow cinquefoil windows and crenellated tops; the W front is set back, with an arched doorway in a label mould with dragons in the spandrels and lancets each side; above is a 4-light Perpendicular window in a crenellated gable containing a crocketed niche with a statue. INTERIOR not inspected. Converted to offices and auction rooms in 1990. (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 293; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and Bristol: London: 1958-).

Listing NGR: ST5747674512


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Gomme, A H, Jenner, M, Little, B D G, Bristol, An Architectural History, (1979), 293
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/03004/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Clark. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].